Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ide to Sata cloning

Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2010 5:25:53 PM

Hello,
I'm going to clone an ide hard drive to a sata hard drive (it's XP sp3. I'll be using Acronis 11 for the clone. I'll set the sata hard drive to ide first but after the clone do I enable the mobo to sata in the bios and then set the sata drive back to sata before the initial boot? Should I disable the ide in the bios at the same time I enable the sata? The drivers for the mobo were installed from the cd that came with it when I initially built the computer. The mobo has both types of connections Ide and Sata. Will the the sata hard drive be recognized because the intial installation of the mobo drivers from the cd?

More about : ide sata cloning

Best solution

a c 371 G Storage
October 18, 2010 6:05:09 PM

The BIOS SATA port settings (IDE/AHCI) has nothing to do with the physical drive connection, it only specifies how the controller communicates with the drive, in IDE legacy mode or AHCI (Advanced Host controller Interface). If you don't already have SATA drivers installed, it will be easier to keep the port in IDE mode, especially if this is going to be a boot/OS drive. Also, if this is going to be your boot device, you will need to change the boot order in your BIOS.
a b G Storage
October 18, 2010 7:29:36 PM

Set bios to IDE mode and leave it that way.
As Hawkeye said set bios to first boot in the boot order menu. No need to disable the IDE drive, presumably you want to use it for backup, so just format it when you are up and running.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 4:46:40 PM

Best answer selected by Grizly87.
m
l
October 19, 2010 4:48:26 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
The BIOS SATA port settings (IDE/AHCI) has nothing to do with the physical drive connection, it only specifies how the controller communicates with the drive, in IDE legacy mode or AHCI (Advanced Host controller Interface). If you don't already have SATA drivers installed, it will be easier to keep the port in IDE mode, especially if this is going to be a boot/OS drive. Also, if this is going to be your boot device, you will need to change the boot order in your BIOS.

Thanks for the reply - you've made my whole life easier - Griz
m
l
October 19, 2010 4:49:27 PM

Jonmor68 said:
Set bios to IDE mode and leave it that way.
As Hawkeye said set bios to first boot in the boot order menu. No need to disable the IDE drive, presumably you want to use it for backup, so just format it when you are up and running.

Thanks for your time to answer my question! Griz
m
l
!