TR Silver Arrow or Noctua DH-14

Total: 14 votes (5 blank votes)

• Silver Arrow
  • 56 %
  • Noctua DH-14
  • 45 %
November 24, 2010 3:57:46 AM

Hello All,

Most of the time I just ghost these forums and others like it. However since I do like air cooling and there seems to be some discussion over which of these very large heatsinks and fan combos are better. I decided to buy both.

This review by Overclock3D says that the DH-14 is superior at high voltages: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/therma...

This review by Xbitlabs says that the Silver Arrow is superior but only by a margin of a few degrees.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

I am in the process of building a new system and what I am going to do over the next week or so is to test both of these CPU coolers and hopefully provide everyone here with a conclusive third party review. This new system I am building should be complete by this weekend and I will conduct a written and photographic documentation of the testing of these two coolers. This will be updated as I complete my system.

Here is how I will test this. I will install both heatsinks in my rig. I will use Intel Burn Test v2.5 to generate the maximum amount of heat my processor can sustain and take a measurement after 30 minutes. I will conduct that test at several voltage levels and end with the one I can sustain the highest temperature and do a final comparison. All of the tests will be with the door of my PC shut as to simulate real working conditions. I will test each with three fan configurations. One will be with that stock fans provided in the 'Push' mode. The second will be swapping the fans between the two coolers and using the Silver Arrow fans on the DH-14 and vice versa. The third configuration I will do is with 2x 205CFM Mechatronics 120mm x 38mm High CFM fan # MD1238X12B set at maximum speed. I've had 3 of these running on an IFX-14 at full power and can hear them outside my house.

This is the specs of the system I have on order.

I7 875K
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
Mushkin DDR 3 1600 2x4GB #996954
MSI 460 GTX Hawk Talon Attack
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB x 2 in RaidO
ABS SL series SL1050 1050W
CoolerMaster HAF-X w/ one additional 200mm and 120mm fan.
Windows 7 64bit Professional

God willing all of these parts will arrive and be functional so there won't be any RMAing.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions on methodology please feel free to post. This is an ongoing project so please check back. I would expect this to be complete with 10 to 14 days.

Thanks,

Andrew

*UPDATE*

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Holidays have a way of doing that. The system is built for the most part and I've begun testing the Silver Arrow and should have my DH-14 by Wed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

My fiance displaying the Silver Arrow.

The mounting bracket.

The mounted Silver Arrow.

The testbed. All tests are done case closed.

One of the problems encountered during installation. The motherboard had to be removed to install the backplate of the heatsink. Another issue arose was that one of the fans would hit the memory due to the heat spreader. I went ahead and installed an additional 140mm low noise fan. The Noctua will not have this problem because the first 'push' fan is only 120mm.

Silver Arrow Testing

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

All energy saver functions disabled. Vdroop enabled. Multiplier is the only element adjusted.

Same as above except multiplier is raised to 32 and voltage is raised to 1.325

Voltage increased to 1.3475 Bclk adjusted to 142. Multiplier down to 30. Ram slightly overclocked at about 1712 Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T 32x QPI

Can't seem to get this to overclock more regardless of which way I move multiplier or BCLK. I thought this would be a good point to test the Noctua at. Temperatures are close to the threshold and it is still stable with the Silver Arrow.

a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2010 9:29:35 AM

Looking forward to it...
a c 292 K Overclocking
November 24, 2010 12:47:47 PM

Some advices.

1- I would go with a single SSD 128GB or 256GB, RAID 0 is more faster, but doesn't support TRIM,so, you will have a lot of garbage in the array.
2- Order a good thermal paste, TX-3 maybe.
Related resources
November 24, 2010 2:12:54 PM

sweet....keep us posted
November 24, 2010 2:30:07 PM

Saint19,

Do you believe I should conduct the tests with just 1 SSD in place? I'm not particularly familiar with RAID as I was trying it just for the cool factor here. I found out there is pretty extensive curing time on Artic Silver 5, I will change that to something more suitable that lacks a curing time.

Hopefully some photos of my rig will be up today as a great deal of it is arriving later on.

Thanks,

Andrew
a c 292 K Overclocking
November 24, 2010 2:49:31 PM

You review will focus in CPU temps with both NH-D14 and Silver arrow, for that you don't need the killer RAID 0 speed of those C300. The C300 64GB single takes 10 to 12 seconds to load OS (that's the time in my rig, can be different in your rig)
November 27, 2010 12:29:27 AM

I just ordered the Silver Arrow; I do not think you can go wrong with either cooler but the Silver Arrow looks alot cooler :) 
November 30, 2010 4:42:34 AM

Updated.
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 8:29:09 AM

Nice... so you ran with 3 fans... is that a Aerocool turbine fan??? i could be wrong... specs on the fan could be great...

I hope you will be running the 3 fan setup on noctua too in the same config to be fair...

And please reduce the size of your pics and also post them as a new one...
a c 292 K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 11:06:32 AM

Hi man.

Please don't post the full picture, can be very slow to load in some please (remember that is an international forum). Use the Thumbnail Size of ImageShack.

btw, congratulations for you engagement. ;) 
a c 235 K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 12:50:29 PM

@acfi

Andrew, Welcome to THGF, congratulations on your engagement, your fiance is beautiful!

After much research I've ordered the Noctua to replace my Cooler Master Hyper 212+, though the CMH212+ performed adequately, it never reached the cooling performance my Xigmatek S-1283 had reached running 2 fans in a push/pull setup, so though it was acceptable it was a disappointment in total performance.

So that was my reason for investing in the Noctua to hopefully gain the performance cooling edge I was after when I purchased the CMH212+.

My tests will be comparing the Noctua NH-D14 vs the Xigmatek S-1283 vs the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, on an AMD setup with the overclock being the same as the original tests of the CMH212+ and the Xiggy.

Both the Xigmatek and Cooler Master were running 2 fans in push/pull, and both had the base lapped, and the advantage actually went to the CMH212+ because it's fans had been replaced with 110cfm fans and even though changing to those fans did improve the performance, it still couldn't best the Xigmatek with 78cfm fans.

So it will be quite interesting to see what the Noctua will do performance wise, and I am quite eager to see your test comparison results! Ryan
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 1:26:46 PM

Saint - You noticed the ROCK!!!
a c 292 K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 2:04:43 PM

Excellent Ryan ;) 

I will replace my Hyper 212+ too, but not for temps problems since I can't say that 15.5ºC on idle and 43ºC on load are bad temps, just I want something better.
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 5:19:25 AM

saint19 said:
15.5ºC on idle

What???????????? Do You Live inside a Freezer?

What is your Ambient room temperature?
a c 292 K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 1:32:11 PM

4Ryan6 said:
What???????????? Do You Live inside a Freezer?

What is your Ambient room temperature?

I live in a very cold country (Not under cero) but is very cold and my room is near to a big window.
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 2:58:02 PM

saint19 said:
I live in a very cold country (Not under cero) but is very cold and my room is near to a big window.

Do you like the cold?

I got my Noctua late last night, pulled it out of the box and took a look at it! :o 

It is larger than I had expected, I was shocked at its size, it dwarfs the Cooler Master.

I had to do some pre-prepping to get it installed, my case is heavily modified and my HDD carriage has been relocated and had to be adjusted to clear the Noctua, I knew it was going to be a motherboard pull to install it, and the clamping mechanism installation was a breeze.

It cleared everything on the motherboard, there were no problems there at all, and the clamping assembly is very strong.

I took some pictures of its size and installation but my camera batteries died in the middle of my picture taking so I'm short on those and haven't loaded them to photobucket yet.

With freshly applied AS5 it has out performed the Cooler Master with fully cured and seated AS5 by 3c under load, so I'm very happy with it so far.

Still looking forward to acfi's Andrews, end results!
a c 292 K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 3:16:17 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Do you like the cold?

Not much really, but is better for my rig ,so, better temps is enough for me to tolerate the cold :)  :lol: 

4Ryan6 said:
Do you like the cold?

I got my Noctua late last night, pulled it out of the box and took a look at it! :o 

It is larger than I had expected, I was shocked at its size, it dwarfs the Cooler Master.

I had to do some pre-prepping to get it installed, my case is heavily modified and my HDD carriage has been relocated and had to be adjusted to clear the Noctua, I knew it was going to be a motherboard pull to install it, and the clamping mechanism installation was a breeze.

It cleared everything on the motherboard, there were no problems there at all, and the clamping assembly is very strong.

I took some pictures of its size and installation but my camera batteries died in the middle of my picture taking so I'm short on those and haven't loaded them to photobucket yet.

With freshly applied AS5 it has out performed the Cooler Master with fully cured and seated AS5 by 3c under load, so I'm very happy with it so far.

Still looking forward to acfi's Andrews, end results!

My case is a TT V9, not as good and not big, but until now has giving me good results. Except the fact not SSD support, so, my current SSD is on the bottom of the case without any support :pfff: 

I want change it, but for now i'm waiting a new CPU water block and I have in mind change my GPU, so, the case must wait a little more.
a c 235 K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 3:28:14 PM

Check out the side by side comparison

a c 292 K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 3:53:07 PM

:o  That's a big difference, the Hyper 212+ looks like only one side of the other one.
January 18, 2011 6:04:35 AM

Does the Silver Arrow really fit over the mushkin ridgeback or am i seeing the picture wrong? is it actually over the dim itself? sorry for the stupid question
a c 235 K Overclocking
January 18, 2011 9:47:08 AM

@acfi

What happened Andrew?

Are you going to complete this review of yours?
January 18, 2011 12:09:58 PM

To acfi,

You should try to config the TR Silver Arrow with better fan position.

[exhaust Case fan] <-- Sink <-- 14cm fan <-- Sink <--14cm fan, "<--" is the air flow direction.

I know the right most heatsink may hit the RAM's..Just try to mount the fan a little upward, it may fix that :) 

I bet it will lower the temperature at least 2-3C at full load.
!