Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Computer painfully slow after Windows Update

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 26, 2011 12:50:32 AM

Hello guys,

Just so you know, I already did a search. The last thing I know that happened before my computer turned into a painfully slow machine is when I was shutting down and windows said that it was installing a windows update on the shutdown screen. When I turned it back on hours later, it starts up painfully slow. It went from starting up from quick minute to slow 10 minutes!!

I updated Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Avast! Anti-virus. I used all three programs and full-scanned my whole computer in both Safe and Normal mode. All three programs said it did not find anything wrong.

Right now I'm just stumped!

Thank you in advance.

Note: I have a AMD Athlon X3 2.9MHz and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz.
August 26, 2011 4:18:23 AM

UPDATE: Ran CCleaner. Cleaned up Registry files and old internet files. Computer still slow.
Score
0
August 26, 2011 5:40:41 AM



Read entries in the Event Viewer. Look at items related to ATI Catalist Control Center for starters (if you run CCC).
Then look for services that could not start as Windows may be giving them some time to start that add up to minutes.


Score
0
Related resources
August 26, 2011 6:42:44 PM

OldAMD said:
Hello guys,

Just so you know, I already did a search. The last thing I know that happened before my computer turned into a painfully slow machine is when I was shutting down and windows said that it was installing a windows update on the shutdown screen. When I turned it back on hours later, it starts up painfully slow. It went from starting up from quick minute to slow 10 minutes!!

I updated Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Avast! Anti-virus. I used all three programs and full-scanned my whole computer in both Safe and Normal mode. All three programs said it did not find anything wrong.

Right now I'm just stumped!

Thank you in advance.

Note: I have a AMD Athlon X3 2.9MHz and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz.

Did you allow the update to complete at shutdown ?
Have you tried to apply a restore point prior to the update ?
Score
0
August 26, 2011 10:24:50 PM

ksiemb said:
Did you allow the update to complete at shutdown ?
Have you tried to apply a restore point prior to the update ?



Yes, I always do a complete shutdown. No, I did not apply a restore point prior to the update(I don't know how).

Score
0
August 26, 2011 10:28:42 PM

Quote:
He triple-posted.... Here's one I answered..


http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263173-45-hello-encry...


I'm not sure what that link is???

Well, I'm in the "Event Viewer" but I don't know what I'm looking at. It's a bunch of logs in different sectors like "Application" "Security" etc etc..
Score
0
August 27, 2011 3:23:45 AM

OldAMD said:
I'm not sure what that link is???

Well, I'm in the "Event Viewer" but I don't know what I'm looking at. It's a bunch of logs in different sectors like "Application" "Security" etc etc..




Wow... I did not post that in this thread, but it landed here. I wondered where it went. I have deleted the mis-placed post.


Score
0
August 27, 2011 4:50:55 AM

tigsounds said:
Wow... I did not post that in this thread, but it landed here. I wondered where it went. I have deleted the mis-placed post.





I desperately need your help, Tigsounds. You're my only hope.
Score
0
August 27, 2011 7:09:53 AM

OldAMD said:
I desperately need your help, Tigsounds. You're my only hope.

Just click on each TAB in event viewer, and look for items with RED X's and click them. These are errors, as opposed to other information messages that may be present. Scroll to the date in question to see if anything with an error occurred. The messages are rather cryptic, but may shed some light as to what happened.

Regarding the restore Comment I Mentioned:
You can click START, HELP & SUPPORT.
Under PICK A TASK Click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore
On next screen, check Restore my Computer to earlier time, and click next

On the calendar that appears, the high lighted days contain a "Restore Point". Click on
the day before your problem started, to undo the updates you posted about that you feel caused your problem.
Score
0
August 27, 2011 3:30:43 PM

I have an older HP Pavilion a1130n with a an AMD processor that also went from being a normal computer to ultra slow after the last windows update. I didn't think about the restore point. I have never used that feature either but it sounds like the thing to do. I am running a scan now that is taking forever because of how slow that machine is. I will roll back when that is complete.

The other symptom with my computer is that in this ultra slow mode with nothing running, I might have a system idle process at say 90%, but the cpu usage at the bottom of windows task manager shows 95% usage. When the computer is running normally and shows a system idle process of 90%, the cpu usage is more like 12%. In this slow mode it is like saying your processor is very busy but it is not running any tasks.

Please post anything you find out. We may have the same issue here. Have you looked at windows task manager?

Thanks

Dave

Score
0
August 27, 2011 3:56:55 PM

ksiemb said:
Just click on each TAB in event viewer, and look for items with RED X's and click them. These are errors, as opposed to other information messages that may be present. Scroll to the date in question to see if anything with an error occurred. The messages are rather cryptic, but may shed some light as to what happened.

Regarding the restore Comment I Mentioned:
You can click START, HELP & SUPPORT.
Under PICK A TASK Click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore
On next screen, check Restore my Computer to earlier time, and click next

On the calendar that appears, the high lighted days contain a "Restore Point". Click on
the day before your problem started, to undo the updates you posted about that you feel caused your problem.


Thanks for the reply. I foolishly turned of "Restore Point" because I wanted to make my computer go faster. Furthermore, I rarely get computer errors but this one is harder than I thought!

The following errors were received on the day when it went slow:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: LoadPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3012
Date: 8/25/2011
Time: 5:56:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OLDAMD
Description:
The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. BaseIndex value from Performance registry is the first DWORD in Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in Data section.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 37 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 7.......
0008: ad 29 00 00 ca 03 00 00 ­)..Ê...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: LoadPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3011
Date: 8/25/2011
Time: 5:56:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OLDAMD
Description:
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: f2 03 00 00 3b 07 00 00 ò...;...
Score
0
August 28, 2011 3:50:40 AM

I rolled back my windows update that seemed to make my PC slow, but no joy ...

Does anyone know how to tell what is running that does not show up in task manager? Or anything else that would cause my computer to use very high cpu usage while seemly having a high idle process number?

Score
0

Best solution

August 28, 2011 4:42:43 AM

OldAMD said:
I desperately need your help, Tigsounds. You're my only hope.



No pressure here eh?

Problem here is that my internet at home is out and the cable company is just not all that hot-fired-up to fix it. They take that Siesta thing real serious around here. I show up here when I remember to take a laptop into town when I go there so delays in seeing my smiling face are common for awhile. The fiber line to my neighborhood (all 3 houses) is underground quite a bit of the way and that is where a fault is that needs fixing.

Here's some ideas..

I have no use for Dr. Watson. He is dead in my computer. I'll revive him if something continuously gets in my way.
He spends too much time being nosy about things nobody cares about and writes logs that nobody will ever read. This all takes time from what I want the computer to do.

To kill him, or at least make him fall asleep until you need him...

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Tools>Dr. Watson
Uncheck everything, "Number of instructions" make zero, do same for "Number of errors to save." He's comatose now.

I had a network card that was taking a long time to settle-in with Windows once, took it over a minute to finally agree to be present in my system. I uninstalled it (as far as Windows was concerned) and that time delay went out with the card... permanently.

ATI Radeon cards that run with Catalyst Control Center installed are vulnerable to start up delays and many event viewer entries showing Windows tried and tried to get some modules to start and they either wouldn't or were missing. The latest drivers are always good but newer versions of CCC don't always work as well as older versions in some Radeon cards. Some die-hard gamers simply must have the latest CCC or they can't function in life. If event viewer shows about 40 entries for CCC at every startup, try removing CCC completely (leave vid drivers) and see how things change.

How about the CPU speed? looked at it close lately? FSB and multiplier correct? It can be embarrassing to have this set to half-speed because the BIOS battery finally quit.

Net.Framework... Here's another place that gets little attention but can drive a guy crazy. Has anybody ever figured out how to get .Net 3.5 SP1 into a machine by following M$ instructions? Some applications demand version 1.1, some 2.0 and the list goes on. Framework can be un-installed in add/remove programs, but remove applications that run under it first, like CCC. Maybe a new install of Framework, starting with version 1.1 and build up to what you must have is in order. I think above version 2.0 SP1 they actually build on the previous existing version and turn to crap if the previous isn't there. M$ used to warn people not to install it unless they had a specific need for it, um... not anymore. I hate framework, lazy coders may just as well go back to VBasic. M$ defends the junk saying modern, faster CPU's overcome the dragging an anchor effect good enough that few will notice it... huh? Since when is an interpreted language just as good (fast... NOT!) as raw assembly or C++? Anyway, check .Net Framework.

QoS RSVP, if you don't need it, uninstall it. (Found in network card properties).

I'd be getting rid of over-lapping "protection" applications and just settle for one that can reasonably do the job by itself, like Kaspersky. Yes it cost money, but oh the times I've seen people come here with ravaged systems running a bunch of free junk that only gave them a free (false) sense of security. My only complaint with Kaspersky is that it turns on things I'd like to keep under my own direct control, such as Automatic Updates and error reporting. I'll update as I research and choose thank you very much M$, and they don't get to know every time I run a crappy program that crashes. These can be reset to disabled after it runs the first time. Whatever protection you use, don't allow it to scan your system for menaces at startup... Windows may take a back seat to that process until it has completed.

Goodness... I'm in a diner guzzling coffee trying to think what else to suggest.

I'll be back (no, not as in Arnold Schwarzenegger, more like Frosty the Snowman)


EDIT:

As for me being your only hope... Not so. I think the talents of saga lout, hang-the-9, area51reop​ened, PhilFrisbi​e, AntiZig, Grumpy9117, aford10, badge, mousemonke​y, tecmo34,,,, well, just about anybody except soundguruman can do a better job than me on this one.


Share
August 28, 2011 10:34:00 AM

BTW, what did u update.

Once in my case it was .net Framework 4.0 and also CCC. Lesson learned.

Hey tigsounds, those should be in stickies :) 
Score
0
August 28, 2011 3:48:47 PM

tigsounds said:
No pressure here eh?


How about the CPU speed? looked at it close lately? FSB and multiplier correct? It can be embarrassing to have this set to half-speed because the BIOS battery finally quit.



I have been wondering about this. There are no settings for this stuff in my consumer style bios. Still, the symptoms are that everything is slower than before almost at the hardware level. For example, when things are running fast, you see something like Dropbox show up in task manager and take some resources and by the next update of task manager, it is back to zero. When it is slow, the same task takes 10 times as long. It seems like everything is just slow from a hardware level. What is the best way to tell how fast the processor is running from a hardware level? I have used programs that tell you what hardware you have, but I don't think that they benchmark the actual processor speed. What about heat or other hardware issues? Could that slow down the system?



tigsounds said:


As for me being your only hope... Not so.




Oh great and powerful Tigsounds, you are indeed the greatest hope to solve this digital viscosity that has slowed down our world! (Seriously, I really appreciate your help)


Score
0
August 28, 2011 4:09:55 PM



You can download "SIW" by clicking HERE

or go to the website and read all about it first HERE.

The program will show just about anything you ever wanted to know about what's in your computer including actual speeds of memory, size, well... everything.
Score
0
August 28, 2011 8:27:08 PM

tigsounds said:
No pressure here eh?

Problem here is that my internet at home is out and the cable company is just not all that hot-fired-up to fix it. They take that Siesta thing real serious around here. I show up here when I remember to take a laptop into town when I go there so delays in seeing my smiling face are common for awhile. The fiber line to my neighborhood (all 3 houses) is underground quite a bit of the way and that is where a fault is that needs fixing.

Here's some ideas..

I have no use for Dr. Watson. He is dead in my computer. I'll revive him if something continuously gets in my way.
He spends too much time being nosy about things nobody cares about and writes logs that nobody will ever read. This all takes time from what I want the computer to do.

To kill him, or at least make him fall asleep until you need him...

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Tools>Dr. Watson
Uncheck everything, "Number of instructions" make zero, do same for "Number of errors to save." He's comatose now.

I had a network card that was taking a long time to settle-in with Windows once, took it over a minute to finally agree to be present in my system. I uninstalled it (as far as Windows was concerned) and that time delay went out with the card... permanently.

ATI Radeon cards that run with Catalyst Control Center installed are vulnerable to start up delays and many event viewer entries showing Windows tried and tried to get some modules to start and they either wouldn't or were missing. The latest drivers are always good but newer versions of CCC don't always work as well as older versions in some Radeon cards. Some die-hard gamers simply must have the latest CCC or they can't function in life. If event viewer shows about 40 entries for CCC at every startup, try removing CCC completely (leave vid drivers) and see how things change.

How about the CPU speed? looked at it close lately? FSB and multiplier correct? It can be embarrassing to have this set to half-speed because the BIOS battery finally quit.

Net.Framework... Here's another place that gets little attention but can drive a guy crazy. Has anybody ever figured out how to get .Net 3.5 SP1 into a machine by following M$ instructions? Some applications demand version 1.1, some 2.0 and the list goes on. Framework can be un-installed in add/remove programs, but remove applications that run under it first, like CCC. Maybe a new install of Framework, starting with version 1.1 and build up to what you must have is in order. I think above version 2.0 SP1 they actually build on the previous existing version and turn to crap if the previous isn't there. M$ used to warn people not to install it unless they had a specific need for it, um... not anymore. I hate framework, lazy coders may just as well go back to VBasic. M$ defends the junk saying modern, faster CPU's overcome the dragging an anchor effect good enough that few will notice it... huh? Since when is an interpreted language just as good (fast... NOT!) as raw assembly or C++? Anyway, check .Net Framework.

QoS RSVP, if you don't need it, uninstall it. (Found in network card properties).

I'd be getting rid of over-lapping "protection" applications and just settle for one that can reasonably do the job by itself, like Kaspersky. Yes it cost money, but oh the times I've seen people come here with ravaged systems running a bunch of free junk that only gave them a free (false) sense of security. My only complaint with Kaspersky is that it turns on things I'd like to keep under my own direct control, such as Automatic Updates and error reporting. I'll update as I research and choose thank you very much M$, and they don't get to know every time I run a crappy program that crashes. These can be reset to disabled after it runs the first time. Whatever protection you use, don't allow it to scan your system for menaces at startup... Windows may take a back seat to that process until it has completed.

Goodness... I'm in a diner guzzling coffee trying to think what else to suggest.

I'll be back (no, not as in Arnold Schwarzenegger, more like Frosty the Snowman)


EDIT:

As for me being your only hope... Not so. I think the talents of saga lout, hang-the-9, area51reop​ened, PhilFrisbi​e, AntiZig, Grumpy9117, aford10, badge, mousemonke​y, tecmo34,,,, well, just about anybody except soundguruman can do a better job than me on this one.




nikorr said:
BTW, what did u update.

Once in my case it was .net Framework 4.0 and also CCC. Lesson learned.

Hey tigsounds, those should be in stickies :) 



I updated my CCC and I murdered Dr. Watson. Still slow. My last update was for "Time zone, date, calendar". Thanks for replying. Hey Tigsounds, is it ok if you write in laymen's terms? I am a beginner in computers hahaha. I'm kind of confused about this Net.Framework stuff. CPU and Memory are good according to the BIOS. Again, thanks for your help and replying.
Score
0
August 28, 2011 9:44:31 PM

I deleted CCC but the computer is still slow. I'm kind of worried about deleting .Net Framework. Some people are saying that it is mandatory for opening up programs.

How do I know if my Network card supports QoS Packet Scheduler?
Score
0
August 29, 2011 1:09:01 AM

OldAMD said:
I deleted CCC but the computer is still slow. I'm kind of worried about deleting .Net Framework. Some people are saying that it is mandatory for opening up programs.

How do I know if my Network card supports QoS Packet Scheduler?


Ok, last things first... QoS won't drag your machine down, it's just something that is out of place if it is not needed for such things as VOIP where you must have a priority for a network device to hog all the bandwidth you've got if it needs it to perform properly. If you don't have such devices then there is no need for it to be there... it's just a bit more overhead.

If you have network icons showing in the system tray (little junk icons near the system clock), right-click one of them and select "Open Network Connections." Notice your network devices and right-click one of them and select Properties. It opens with the "General" tab showing and has a box with all the network services and protocols showing. Look for QoS Packet scheduler and click on it. Now click "Uninstall" to remove it. If you ever need it, you can click "Install" and then add the service again later just as easily.

Framework is the result of poor planning on M$. It is needed for CCC to run for sure. Many games now use it. M$ didn't allow Framework to grow gracefully.

Download CCC
version 11.8 if you haven't already.

Uninstall CCC but not the video driver. There is an uninstaller in for this in Add/Remove programs.

Uninstall all versions of .Net Framework in your system.

Install
Framework 2.0 SP1 and let it install as it will. Restart when completed.
Install
Framework 3.5 SP1 and let it install as it will. Restart when completed.
Install
KB959209 to make 3.5 SP 1 work correctly (?). All 3 in the order they specify.

Read this last page thoroughly. If it doesn't totally tick you off, then you are drunk. It starts off telling you about the need to install the 3 updates, in order, to make 3.5 SP1 work correctly.
It continues down below telling what each one does. Hmmm... one is for 2.0 SP2, another for 3.0 SP2 and the last one is for 3.5 SP 1, yet, the original 3.5 SP1 download is a cumulative update for all of the above. So what to do? M$ wrote a blank check here to cover any problems and complaints. Let's give M$ the greatest benefit of the doubt, they are telling us the inside scoop of what the 3 files will be doing?... hopefully.

I installed all 3 as it said to do at that page and I don't smell any smoke yet. "Your results may vary" (there's my blank check :(  ).

Now install CCC 11.8.

My highest suspicion of your bogged-down system is your security suite. They sometimes act like the only reason you have a computer at all in the first place is to run their program and nothing else. This is one "medium" level complaint I have with Symantec products.

My next-to-the-highest suspicion is that you have not installed the chipset drivers for that machine.




Score
0
August 31, 2011 12:12:18 AM

Deleted and reinstalled Frameworks.....check.

Installed updated version of all hardware drivers......check.

Deleted ALL security and security scanners.........check.

Deleted CCC except the hardware driver.......check.


Computer still slow. I'm losing hope and might wipe the hard drive clean and start over unless you have some other options. I'm losing hope :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 
Score
0
August 31, 2011 5:03:02 AM



Chipset drivers :( 


Score
0
August 31, 2011 4:14:38 PM

tigsounds said:
Chipset drivers :( 





Yup, updated that too. Oh well, I'm going to wipe my hard drive and install a fresh Windows XP and start all over. This is the first time since 1990 that a computer problem stumped me. Windows is crazy!!! Tigsounds, thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate the fact that you replied every time on your own time to try and help me. Thank you!
Score
0
August 31, 2011 4:15:28 PM

Best answer selected by OldAMD.
Score
0
August 31, 2011 5:59:36 PM

OldAMD said:
Yup, updated that too. Oh well, I'm going to wipe my hard drive and install a fresh Windows XP and start all over. This is the first time since 1990 that a computer problem stumped me. Windows is crazy!!! Tigsounds, thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate the fact that you replied every time on your own time to try and help me. Thank you!

n
n
OldAMD said:
Best answer selected by OldAMD.

n
nIt's a frustrating thing to have such a problem. A forum is a good place to get ideas, but maybe not the actual fix. It takes time to send/get a response and the responder has to imagine where the culprit is hiding in the computer causing such problems. Then there are suspects but no proven rationale to suggest going there, only so many rocks can be turned over looking for the guilty. Anyone can suggest a hundred things to try but soon enough you'll have had enough and decide a new install is the most efficient remedy. You could have tried installing SP2 again, Sp3 again, DirectX again, and the list goes on but will working 50 hours ever fix it? I think you're doing the right thing to just reinstall.
n
nThanks for the vote, but it's not for an answer that fixed it, but I guess it goes that way too sometimes.
n
nDo come back and let everyone know if the new install actually did the trick, or is there a defective hardware issue a new install suffers from also.
n
n
Score
0
August 31, 2011 6:55:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!