CPU and CPU cooler problems!

jblancarte

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hello,

I have a AMD Phenom II x4 black edition, and have recently paired it up with a ZALMAN CNPS9900 cpu cooler joined with antec silver 5 compound. They are on an ASUS m4a97t deluxe mother board that comes with epu software that regulates your computers performance.

Over the past three weeks, my cpu has been showing tempratures significantly lower than the stock cooler, (29 degrees celsius lower power usage, 34 when the processor is in high performance), but recently, the temps have been jumping. I'm now seeing 34-35 degree celsius temps on low performance, and 40 degree temps at high performance.

this upward trend is starting to worry me. can anybody tell me what's going on, or could possibly give me a solution? thanks.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Did you use a different program when checking the temperatures again? Did you move the PC or nudge the heatsink in any way? Have you checked for a rise in ambient temperature OR a buildup of dust on your heatsink?

Usually a cooler will do a slightly better job of cooling after it has been installed for a few days, or weeks, as the thermal compound has time to "seat" itself in.
If it is getting hotter, I would double check to make sure the heatsink was mounted correctly, and not working it's self loose.