Silent gaming rig, choosing between CPU fans/HS

rodlopes

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Heya.

I am building a new gaming rig, and would like to keep it somewhat silent. My current specs are:

GFX: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 580 1.5gb (lame factory OC, but eh.)
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
RAM: Corsair Dominator-GT 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Formula

I'll transport 2 old 500gb HDs from my old computer as well.

I have still not chosen a case, since that will depend heavily on what kind of CPU cooler I'm getting.

I ruled out the Megahalems since they're a little too big for my taste, and I'm looking for a something a little bit more silent, and the pressure needed to cool those seems to make for loud fans.

I plan on OCing modestly only, but I'm worried about the temps already X.x

Now, I'm left to choose a new CPU cooler. I've read quite a bit about several different ones, and a few seem to have consistently decent reviews:

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- Corsair H50/H70 (looks like the pump is irritatingly noisy)
- ThermalRight Silver Arrow (kinda expensive but ok)

I'm a little worried as to whether a large cooler like the Silver Arrow will fit with that memory, but the mobo itself seems to have no problem with large fellas.

ATM I'm inclined to get the Hyper 212, since it shares similar DB rating to my Zalman CNPS9700Cu.

What do you think?

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
rule out hyper 212+ (others might say OK) for OC'd i7 950... Since you are not a fan of monstrous size i would recommend Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme... its not small but extremely elegant and top notch performance for $55...

I wouldnt recommend H50 or H70, overpriced and perform more or less the same as top air coolers...

Do you want LCS?

Buy the CPU block, a good CPU block and build the rest.

Radiator: I use a motorcycle radiator with a 24cm fan
Pump: I used an aquarium pump
Tubes: You can buy it in any store
Liquid: The liquid is the same liquid that you use for your car's radiator, so, don't pay extra for something like "Thermaltake"
Reservoir: You own election, just be sure that the pump fit inside.