Please look at this Spinrite screenshot - my HDD is f*cked, right?

eterna111

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Hey there.

I have a 2.5" internal Seagate Momentus 5400.6 (500GB) in my Acer Aspire 6920G, and over time it has become more and more unreliable, with a lot of CRC-errors on downloaded ZIP/RAR files, and glitches in downloaded mp3's.

I ran the software Spinrite to scan it, and these are the screenshots at the very end of the scan:

2010100614125224.jpg

2010100614155435.jpg

Just wondering if you can confirm to me that this HDD is f*cked up? I have already bought a new internal HDD to replace it (actually the same brand and model), but is there any way I can use this old one in a HDD enclosure? After all, it's 500 GB i can use to store films or TV series on.

So - is there any software that will allow me to scan it and mark it for bad sectors, so they don't get used? Or is it in such bad condition that there's no point in trying even for that?

Thanks!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Y'know,, I had two of my WD 500's report, just last week that they had bad sectors all over hell's half acre, not possible says I, why these hdd's are almost new, anyhow turns out that the hdd caddy that I was using was better off in the garbage..Sometimes,,, the bad blocks on a hdd are software created not hardware, sometimes fdisking the hdd and changing the partition sizes fixes it, also get the seabreeze tools from seagate and examine the hdd,,,maybe you will get lucky,,,maybe..:)

In case anyone else would like to see the images the correct links are below.

http://img809.imageshack.us/i/2010100614125224.jpg/

http://img100.imageshack.us/i/2010100614155435.jpg/

I would say that the drive is reaching the end of its life and although it could go on working for a long time I would not trust my data to it.

Good point. A zero write with Dban and then running a scan may tell you if the HDD is actually dying/dead.

eterna111

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007

I have now successfully transferred the disk content from the old HDD to the new (with Partition Wizard Home Edition), and put the old one in a HDD enclosure, where it's successfully detected by Windows 7.

I was thinking of a full reformatting and then scanning it for errors - what do you think? And what software should I run to fix, scan and/or mark sectors for errors? I don't want to lose 500GB. :p

(I tried looking up Darik's Boot and Nuke, but it seems you can only run it on an internal disk in DOS mode? I wanna do this process on the HDD enclosure under Windows 7.)