How to take PSU out of a Dell 9100

LittleRedGuard

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I have just bought a new PSU for my Dell Dimension 9100 because I wanted to upgrade my graphics card to a 4850. However, after unscrewing the four screws on the back and unplugging everything, I find that all the wires are stuck inside these white plastic rings which are fixed to the side of the computer case. The rings are used to manage and organize the cables to make it less messy.

The wires also run behind the huge black thing in the middle (which I think is the cpu)

How do I take the PSU out??

Loosen the 2 screws on the left side of the heatsink and swing it to the right.
The 2 plastic wire clamps can be popped open with a thin flat screwdriver.
Either be prepared to replace the thermal grease or be careful not to disturb it any further.
What psu are you using as a replacement ?

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

First caveat: If you don't feel comfortable tracing and removing the old wires then close up the case and enlist the help of a PC expert before continuing. Hopefully this is a friend. Otherwise pay money and take it to a Service Tech. If you want to continue then I would remove the PSU following these steps:

1. Disconnect the AC power cord to your wall outlet.

2. Read chapter 4 of http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/D86630LRs.pdf
It will show you the location and routing of each component's power cable. If you do have to remove a component it will show you how.

3. Consider taking pictures of your open case with a digital camera. Remember to print them before tearing the guts our of your machine. :)

4. Disconnect all the power cables from your video card(s), motherboard and all other hard disk drives, SSDs and peripheral devices.

5. Refer to the power cable diaigrams in chapter 4 and uninstall your existing power supply. [strike]Be careful cutting the cable ties; you don't want to nick any of the wires.[/strike] Pop the wire clamps open with a thin flat screwdriver. Also, never yank! :non:

Good luck,
Mike Ramsey

"Luck is an acronym for laboring under correct knowledge"

EDIT: Thanks DellUser1 :hello:

LittleRedGuard

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Thanks alot for your replies.

I have managed to remove the heat sink but I just cant pop open the white rings with a screw driver... where do I pop it open?

Once I open it, does it stay open or is it one of those things which I have to hold on to keep it open.