SSD and AHCI Issue

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
So I just installed Windows 7 on a new OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and think I may have done something wrong. First, I did not switch the bios to ahci before installing and now when I try to switch it will not boot. Second, I did not unplug my HDDs while installing (is this an issue?). Also, I did not update SSD driver during install and when I go to OCZ webiste and use thier update tool, my drive does not appear. Does it matter which IDE drive number and master/slave the SSD appears on in teh bios? Can the AHCI issue be corrected? Given all of these issues, if I need to reinstall I could really use a step-by step. Thanks. PS - I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Solution
You said " After that update the SSD driver. " - no driver to update. The driver is the uSoft AHCI driver.

You should not have to switch from IDE mode to AHCI mode. With AHCI enabled in bios PRIOR to installing win 7, Win 7 should automatically set AHCI mode.

For the tweaks, That link to the OCZ formum as a pretty good set. Just pick and choose basted on your usage.
Should at a min.
.. Set your page file min/max to same vaule
.. Disable hibernation
.. disable superfetch
.. disable disk indexing.

On pagefile. I would set min/max to same value and leave on SSD. Leave for a couple of weeks, then switch to put on HDD. if you do not see any performance difference then leave on HDD. If you notice a performance decrease, then your...
I would recommend the reinstall.
(1) first download the Iso of Ultimate Boot disk and create a bootable CD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
(2) run the HDDErease.
(3) unplug HDD and reinstall operating system
I would use custom install and verify NO partitions are currently on SSD, if they are, delete them and rest the partitions, It will create 2 partitions, a very small one and the main partition which you will install 2.

Here's the rub, I think the Vortex-2 will get the best performance using the Latest Intel RST driver (Check their website forum. It so then you will need to download them (Need the F6 during install, then install the main driver for after windows 7 is install.

You can opt to install normally, but using the uSoft default AHCI driver, but I think the performance will be less than advertized.

You can also look at the GSkill Web forum as the Gskill Pheonix Pro also uses the same Sandforce SF-1200 controller.

If you just bought the SSD, then it probably has the latest firmware. Before tring to update verify what firmware is installed, can download and run crystalDiskInfo.

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Thanks for the response, glad to hear from you since there are a lot of people on here that speak very highly of you. I have a few more questions:
1. I do not fully understand updaing the driver with F6. Is this correct? I unplug all HDDs and keep SSD connected. Erase the SSD and then upon boot press F6? I'm guessing I need to have the driver on a usb drive or something? Install the driver then boot to Windows 7 disk and custom install?
2. What is the main driver?
3. I purchased the Windows 7 family pack. Will it know that I am resintalling and still only count as one license use?

Thanks again!

(1) See NOTE at Bottom **. But here is the method - Have not done the "F6" with windows, up until now there has not been a need as Win 7 provided very good support drivers. Use to be a page that asked if you needed to install additional drivers prior to installing windows. From what I understan thats still there, just expanded on location of the driver. Back in the days of XP, they had to be on a floopy. Now they can be on a USB drive, possibly a CD.

(2) Did you already register (Activate) your installation? Not that it matters, this still only counts as 1 installation, No matter how many times you uninstall (wipe it) and reinstall.

(3) I'm quessing that family pac is the upgrade version. If so, you will need to select custom install to do a clean install - You can not upgrade without having the operating system visible, But with your HDD disconnected it will not be visible, BUT that is OK as you are allowed to do a clean install - BUT there are to hoops that you have to jump through when doing this - IMPORTANT - DO NOT enter your windows Key during install, also deselect - Activate automatically. WILL edit this post shortly with what you need to do.

** RST files and F6
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)
Select operating s7ystem ie Win7 64, or 32. Down load the F6 and the Main file (on main file there are two choices the Larger file is multilanguage, smaller on (enu) is english only).
Right cleck the F6 file so that you can extract the files and then you can read the "Readme File" when selecting, you want the ahci driver.

** added: clean install using upgrade disk
From one of my previous posts.
Do a Clean Install, select custom method, But DO NOT enter your Key
Go ahead and let windows 7 down load critical updates. Then:

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator."
In the command line window, type: slmgr -rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Ok that all sounds clear, thank you. My only question to that is in regards to how I get to where I install the main and F6 driver. Am i pressing F6 at the initial boot screen, where I press delete to enter BIOS settings? Also, do I need to change the BIOS to AHCI before installing windows?

After installing windows and activating, I was going to following this guide provided by OCZ:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*

But I also found your tweaks that are slightly different. Are the changes suggested in the post below still your reccomendations?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1813-63-tomshardware#t22076

Yes in BIOS change your HDD mode to AHCI.

Put the F6 files on a usb stick/or drive.
When you insert the Windows dvd and it gets to the screen where it says Update or custom, Select custom. There should be a page asking if you need to load drivers, select it and select browse to locate. (Haven't done it yet with win 7 - will have to at some point to redo my SSD, currently still using the default AHCI driver.). This will allow you to complete installation. When installation is complet then click on the iata96enu.exe - If every thing is ok, it should install.

I'd follow the OCZ - Just pick and choose, don't need to do all.
What I previously posted was a "cut and Past from an articale" and pretty much only minium standard for SSDs. recommendation for page file - I'd not delete it (set to Zero), What I would do is set min and max to the same valuie (ie1 to 4 gigs, depends on how much RAM you have. The more RAM the smaller the page file can be.), leave it on the SSD for a couple of weeks, then move it to the HDD - IF You do NOT see any noticable difference in performance, leave it on The HDD.

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I have been doing some research before starting this reinstall and I cannot find anything about when/how to install drivers prior to the installation of windows 7. I also dont remember seeing a place to do that on my original install, although I could be wrong.

Also, why am I using an Intel driver?

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

Have the drivers ready on a USB drive and plug it into your rig. When it comes to installing Windows 7, at the set up screen where it should list your installed storage devices, there is an option listed near 'Format', 'Delete', 'New', etc called 'Find Drivers' or something along those lines, maybe 'Install drivers'- If you select that, it should allow you to access your USB drive and select your downloaded drivers.

Hope this helps.

Nick

^, Thanks for position just where the "Load drivers" is found on win 7

On why Intel
Prior to the SF1200 controller, SSDs hit pretty close to their advertized / reviewed performance when compared to running a Bench mark program. Not So with the SF1200 controller SSDs. Bear in mind that MANY users don't always run benchmarks and only run the WEI and thinks it great when their WEI goes from 5.9 (HDD) to a 7.1->7.3. But the Vertex-2 and Phoenix Pro should be around 7.8! When some users ran the Bench mark, they found they were getting much lower result (Considerably lowere Seq reads) MYSELF included. Looking at Posts stating "lower performance" on Newegg for the Pheonix Pro the response from the Manuf Rep has Been "Need to Use the Intel RST ver 9 driver" This also shows up in their Forum.

Bottom Line - Appearently the Intel AHCI (With Intel Chipsets) is better optumized for Use than the genric default uSoft AHCI driver.

Side Comment - Windows WEI is not a good bench Mark, BUT it is good for a quick check, If most people with drive X are hitting 7.8, and you are getting only 7.2, then something is amiss. SAME SAME for HDDs, if everyone is getting a 5.8/9 with HDD Brand X and you are only getting a 4.5 - then something is not setup correctly.

IMPORTANT - I just looked Back - Did not see which Mother Board you are using, IF you are Not Using a MB with Intel Chip set Then DISREGAURD using Intel RST. I violated one of my guiding principle - And ASSUMED you were using a Intel chipset. When you go to the Intel webpage, it list which chipsets it supports ie ICHxx, P5x

What is your Motherboard, If it is a P55 X58, or aH55/57 series you have the right chipset. But if you post what your MB is I'll check. Also if you have the manual, it should tell you what chipset is used.

Have to leave so will not beable to answer for a couple of Hours

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I posted it above and I guess you missed it which is why I was confused.

This is my MB, its AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Not sure on the Performance hit, I've no experience with the AMD chipset and How the SF1200s perform with them. The only postings I've seen is with thoes that have the intel chipset - You may come out good. let us know, It's how we learn also.
Hope I've help and sorry about missing your MB.

swingking03

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
You said " After that update the SSD driver. " - no driver to update. The driver is the uSoft AHCI driver.

You should not have to switch from IDE mode to AHCI mode. With AHCI enabled in bios PRIOR to installing win 7, Win 7 should automatically set AHCI mode.

For the tweaks, That link to the OCZ formum as a pretty good set. Just pick and choose basted on your usage.
Should at a min.
.. Set your page file min/max to same vaule
.. Disable hibernation
.. disable superfetch
.. disable disk indexing.

On pagefile. I would set min/max to same value and leave on SSD. Leave for a couple of weeks, then switch to put on HDD. if you do not see any performance difference then leave on HDD. If you notice a performance decrease, then your option (based on amount of decrease) to leave on HDD or move back to SSD.

Just move "Your Documents" folder to your HDD.
When ever you go to save any of the files you generat, just select Save As and point to a directory on your HDD.

IE folder/temp
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818

Have fun and ENJOY

Solution
@RC, you don't have to absolutely re-install to get AHCI:

I have only tested this under Intel chipsets. I have NOT tested this with AMD/nVidia chipsets (and AFAIK, neither supports AHCI). It is possible to do this under Vista too, but again, I have not tested this.

1. Open up regedit. (Windows Key + R > "regedit" ).

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Msahci.

2. In the right pane, right-click "Start" (look under the Name column) and then click Modify.

3. In the Value data box, type "0" (this is a zero, not a "O" ), and then click OK.

4. Restart PC, go into BIOS and set it to "AHCI".

5. Windows should start and install the Microsoft AHCI drivers. (After logging in).

6. Reboot and then go online and download the latest chipset drivers for your chipset from the Intel website.

7. Install the drivers. Reboot once done.

8. Congrats! Now you have AHCI using the Intel drivers!

After this, install the latest Intel RST software.

This imo, is a hell of a lot easier than re-installing. Also, when you install normally with AHCI enabled in BIOS it will install the Microsoft AHCI drivers (not using F6), HOWEVER, if you update/reinstall the chipset drivers, it *should* overwrite the Microsoft AHCI drivers with the Intel AHCI drivers.