Possible PSU Issue?

zmaynard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I have been having increasing issues with my computer as of recently.

Specs:

Intel Q6600
EVGA nForce 780i SLI MB
8GBs Corsair Dominator DDR 1066
BFG 8800GTS 512mb
1x WD raptor (for windows)
2x Seagate (for storage)
OCZ Gamestream 700w PSU (about 4 years old)

All of the components are relatively new in my system besides the PSU. I have replaced ram. I used to have two 8800gts's installed, but had serious performance issues that were solved when i took one out. My computer turns off randomly. My display driver sometimes "fails" and recovers, but sometimes it doesn't recover and i have to restart.

All of this points to a PSU issue, but i wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks,

Zach

zmaynard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
If you agree what PSU would you suggest for a replacement? Is single rail ok now? It seems like last time i bought one the more 12v rails, the better.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
This doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me, it sounds more like 1 of 2 things:

1. Overheating, those 8800's are notorious for it, get Rivatuner, and crank up the fan speed whenever you play a game. (I had my old one set to 40% during normal times, and 70% while gaming)

2. Re-install the OS (Wipe, and start fresh) this will clear up any, and all driver conflicts.

Myself I'd do both before replacing a good PSU like that one.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Also it should be noted that ALL 780i motherboards had stability issues. This is a known issue, and there is no fix, other than getting a non 780i motherboard.

zmaynard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
It seems like there are too many non-video card related issues for it to be a video card over heat..

I.e. I can't clock my memory up to 1066 unless i change voltage to 2.1 (it won't boot)

Sometimes my bios resets itself for no apparent reason (same with last motherboard that i replaced)

This also would not explain better performance with 2x 8800s instead of 1 (even on a cold boot)

I recently wiped the OS (went from XP 32-bit to 64-bit vista)

For you question
Is single rail ok now?
Yes some of the best PSUs are Single rail (Corsair)

what PSU would you suggest for a replacement?
No doubt Corsair 750TX...

But before going for the PSU replacement, like others have said check all other possiblities before making the purchase...

Remove your video drivers, then re-install them (although your recent OS wipe may have covered this).
Rule out heat by removing the side of your PC and aiming a common fan into it.
Are your case fans "balanced," meaning [almost] as much intake as exhaust? If you have too many exhausts and not enough intake, your PSU fan may be unable to cool the PSU and it will overheat and shut down, even if your loads aren't stressing it too badly.
You could have a stability problem with your non-JEDEC standard RAM. Get DDR2-800 that will operate on the JEDEC standard 1.8V. My personal favorite is Mushkin.
At 4 years old, capacitor aging may have reduced your once hale PSU to a doddering cripple. Whether or not it is the immediate cause of your problems (a distinct possibility), replacing it is probably a good idea. The number of +12V rails is really a non-issue, provided the overall quality is good. Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the quality brands. For a single GPU but 3 hard drives, 550W-650W should be sufficient.

zmaynard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
My mobo is less than 6 months old. I don't believe its a heat issue as the side is usually off my case. I have an Antec P180 case and it gets the job done pretty well. Also, my memory is listed on the EVGA website as approved for this board (my old memory wasn't and is why i made the switch the first time)

Here are a couple more issues i have been experiencing:

Sometimes on reboot i will get a "Award BootBlock 1.0, BiosRom Checksum Error"
the bios will reset and i will have to go back through and redo everything.

Also when the videocard crashes it has something to do with nvlddmkm.sys. I have wiped drivers rebooted and reinstalled. I turned up the fan speed on my videocard just incase it was a heat issue.

zmaynard

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I also had the same Cmos reset issue on my old board along with some boot issues. Which is why i changed boards, and at this point the PSU is the last thing left to replace.

I don't generally play the replace and check game, but i just don't know what else to do and i have been building computers since i was 10.