Random crashes, heavy artifacting on screen?

zethika

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
As the title says I'm experiencing somewhat random crashes on my just bought system, always shown by my screen showing heavy artifacting.
Actually exactly like this; http://www.revfry.com/images/messedupcard..png

The crashes appears at random times in some games, while immidiatly upon starting other games.
The selection of games that crashes seems random, a selection of games that crash is; counter-strike source, oblivion, left 4 dead and even civilization 4.
However it runs EVE-online like a charm.

I have tried putting all graphical settings to an absolute minimum in all games, while most games could then run for 10-minutes or such they still crashes.
"Most" because left 4 dead seems to work just fine now.

What really confuses me is that EVE-online runs smoothly, it's not exactly easy on the computer.

My specs is;

Motherboard: Gigabyte P31-ES3G bundkort (PCI-E, Intel chipset, FSB1333MHz)

CPU: Intel Family - DualCore E5300 2x2,60GHz (FSB1066MHz)

Ram: Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR2-1066 PC8500 RAM DualChannel

Harddisk: Samsung 500GB harddisk S-ATAII 3Gb/s Fluid

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB PCI-E

Power: 650W ATX 17dB strømforsyning

Xp- Home

I think all drivers are at their newest release (if they aren't, I can't find anything newer)

So, got any ideas as to what causes this?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Christ on a bike that is classic dead vid card!

My Radeon 2900 pro did that, a real shame as i hadnt even tried oc'ing it, which was my intention to do when i bought it. Only a few artifacts in windows though, the same sign of death as yours but at least i could still kinda use windows :/

zethika

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Thanks for the answers :)
To answer hundredislands; Not at all, it was like that when I first tried entering any game.

I'm not arguing that it's fried but I don't understand how it can run 2 games perfect with a fried video card? Is it running on a intergrated card in the motherboard or what's happening?