Need help with PC config for University

Last response: in Video Games
March 18, 2005 1:49:11 AM

Hi,

I just bought The Sims 2 university, and the game is reeeeally slow. My
configuration is the following:
- 2400 athlon
- graphic card with 80Mo (RADEON 9700)
- hard drive with 40 Go free space
- 512 Mo memory DDR

Do I need to add some memory? It seems to me that I already have enough....

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance

Arnaud.

More about : config university

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:49:12 AM

"Arnaud" <arnaud.g@NOSPAMnoos.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just bought The Sims 2 university, and the game is reeeeally slow. My
> configuration is the following:
> - 2400 athlon
> - graphic card with 80Mo (RADEON 9700)
> - hard drive with 40 Go free space
> - 512 Mo memory DDR
>
> Do I need to add some memory? It seems to me that I already have
> enough....

I have 512 and my game is very smooth and not at all slow. I did install
more at one time but my motehrboard had a fit over it so it is gone again.
While the game was somewhat faster at thingsd like loading and saving with a
gig it wasn't really game altering. Couldn't tell what you meant by 80 mo
for the graphics card. The amount of video memory can be a huge factor.

Gareeth
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:51:16 AM

I meant 128 Mo of memory, sorry.

"Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
39un3bF64icfvU1@individual.net...

> "Arnaud" <arnaud.g@NOSPAMnoos.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just bought The Sims 2 university, and the game is reeeeally slow. My
>> configuration is the following:
>> - 2400 athlon
>> - graphic card with 80Mo (RADEON 9700)
>> - hard drive with 40 Go free space
>> - 512 Mo memory DDR
>>
>> Do I need to add some memory? It seems to me that I already have
>> enough....
>>

> I have 512 and my game is very smooth and not at all slow. I did install
> more at one time but my motehrboard had a fit over it so it is gone again.
> While the game was somewhat faster at thingsd like loading and saving with
> a gig it wasn't really game altering. Couldn't tell what you meant by 80
> mo for the graphics card. The amount of video memory can be a huge factor.
>
> Gareeth

March 18, 2005 9:51:17 AM

>I meant 128 Mo of memory, sorry.

Well as far as specs go you have me beat then. Must be something else.

Gareeth
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:14:42 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:54:01 -0800, "Gareeth"
<Gareethnews@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well as far as specs go you have me beat then. Must be something else.

Either he's set the game to insane-o-resolution or something is indeed
very wrong.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:11:05 PM

Arnaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought The Sims 2 university, and the game is reeeeally slow. My
> configuration is the following:
> - 2400 athlon
> - graphic card with 80Mo (RADEON 9700)
> - hard drive with 40 Go free space
> - 512 Mo memory DDR
>
> Do I need to add some memory? It seems to me that I already have enough....
>
> Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Arnaud.

A quick 2c - my game runs HORRIBLY slowly whenever i have, for example,
a browser or trillian open in the background.

~SL
March 18, 2005 5:11:33 PM

Arnaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought The Sims 2 university, and the game is reeeeally slow.
My
> configuration is the following:
> - 2400 athlon
> - graphic card with 80Mo (RADEON 9700)
> - hard drive with 40 Go free space
> - 512 Mo memory DDR
>
> Do I need to add some memory? It seems to me that I already have
enough....

> Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Arnaud.

I found that increasing memory from 512mb to 1 gig improved load time
performance significantly, for example switching back and forth between
neighborhood view and a lot. It definitely improved performance when
in a large house with many sims and objects. However, in a simple
neighborhood without many houses and objects you probably won't notice
much of a difference with more memory.

A RADEON 9700 should be fine for the game, assuming you have the latest
drivers.

Make sure you have defragged your hard drive and like mentioned in a
March 18, 2005 11:05:14 PM

Lerren wrote:

> A quick 2c - my game runs HORRIBLY slowly whenever i
> have, for example, a browser or trillian open in the
> background.

I applied this
http://groups.msn.com/TheSims2Database/makeyourgamerunf...
lately, and it helps. The idea is that you make a seperate
account for your game, which is stripped of everything else. I
found it here a few weeks ago. I can recommend it to everyone.

T.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:08:56 AM

Am Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:05:14 +0100 schrieb Taemon:

> I applied this
> http://groups.msn.com/TheSims2Database/makeyourgamerunf...
> lately, and it helps. The idea is that you make a seperate
> account for your game, which is stripped of everything else. I
> found it here a few weeks ago. I can recommend it to everyone.

I second that, it's amazing how much faster the game is!

Dorte
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:14:22 PM

Hi,

I tried to create a basic profile for my game, and it works better. My
characters ' movements are much smoother, though sometimes still not as much
as they could be. Loading nieghbourhoods, and the first minutes or so of
game in "complex" neighbourhoods, are still rather slow, but I assume this
could be fixed with more memory, as you mention it?

The antivirus and firewall (both Norton) still load automatically, even in
the basic profile, and I believe they are part of the problem. I have to go
to the taskmanager to eliminate them. Does anybody know how to impede them
from starting under the "basic profile" without changing the configuration
under other profiles?

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice

Arnaud.

"Tom" <tom_overton_1968@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1111183893.812569.242270@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Arnaud wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just bought The Sims 2 university, and the game is reeeeally slow.
> My
>> configuration is the following:
>> - 2400 athlon
>> - graphic card with 80Mo (RADEON 9700)
>> - hard drive with 40 Go free space
>> - 512 Mo memory DDR
>>
>> Do I need to add some memory? It seems to me that I already have
> enough....
>>
>> Can anybody help me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Arnaud.
>
> I found that increasing memory from 512mb to 1 gig improved load time
> performance significantly, for example switching back and forth between
> neighborhood view and a lot. It definitely improved performance when
> in a large house with many sims and objects. However, in a simple
> neighborhood without many houses and objects you probably won't notice
> much of a difference with more memory.
>
> A RADEON 9700 should be fine for the game, assuming you have the latest
> drivers.
>
> Make sure you have defragged your hard drive and like mentioned in a

March 20, 2005 2:35:15 PM

Don't you take them out using msconfig? Look in the start up options (go to
Start/Run and type in msconfig). Be careful though if you have a permanent
internet connection - you shouldn't turn them off in that case. Either that
or unplug your broadband or switch off your modem before you start up the
computer (don't unplug/plug a modem when the computer is running - you can
damage the electronics - according to my electronics engineer husband).

Best wishes
Maxon