Setup problems when relocating receiver

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 24, 2004 1:28:02 AM

Have a 3-room Direct TV system at home (triple LNB, Hi-Def Samsung + 2
Philips standard receivers and the Direct TV "everything" package). Want to
move one of the Philips (card included) to our cabin in the mountains about
100 miles away for weekends only. Bought another triple LNB dish (Terk for
Direct TV with 4 output switch) and an in-line signal meter to help with the
setup. Mounted the dish, set the direction and angles with my compass based
on the numbers the receiver gave me for the new Zip code. My signal meter
with the attenuator at about 10 o'clock position says I have a good, strong
signal on 101 and a bit less on 110 and 119 and I am seeing the output of
the receiver (the setup screens) in the TV. However the signal strength on
the receiver's own signal strength meter in the setup screen gives me a big,
fat ZERO on all 3 satellites, all transponders so I never get any thing but
the slow starting tone. The cables are plugged in correctly. (BTW-when I
bring the receiver back home and plug it in, it works fine, so it's not the
box). Any ideas? Am I missing something? (I just realized I never unplugged
the portable meter and plugged the dish directly into the receiver but
shouldn't I be able to get a signal on the setup screen meter while the
hand-held meter is plugged in-line?) Also, while I used a 4' length of RG6
cable from the LNB to the meter, I used a 12' length of RG59 (cable TV coax)
between the meter and the receiver. Is that a problem?
November 24, 2004 8:56:59 PM

I was going to say it has something to do with your line and of course you
wrote about the meter. You can have nothing connected to the antenna except
the cable to the box.(there are splitters made for this)
The box sends a low current voltage to the dish for operation and anything
like the meter will interfere with it.Try it again without the box.

!