Sign in with
Your question

New vid drivers for 8800gt killed my PC- help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2009 6:52:52 AM

So I updated my Nvidia graphics drivers for my 8800gt, thinking that it might make my PC run better....hoo boy, they didn't !

shortly after startup, after the Windows XP loading screen is on for about 3 seconds, my PC bsod's (thank someone I got this black friday laptop!), and starts the post sequence all over again.

I set my overclock back to factory settings, try and start in "safe mode" - only to watch the command-line startup hang at the section where it mentions loading drivers (sry, dont know exact name right now).

The only other thing I did the last time I had it on was DL a windows security update. Anybody got an idea what to do? Not having my $900 gaming rig is killing me.

Anyways, here's my PCs relevant specs:

e8400
EVGA 8800gt
asus p5k-pro (p35 chipset)
2x 2gb ocz reaper ddr2 800
corsair 620 hx PSU
windows xp pro 32 bit

a huge thanks to anyone that can help, really.
April 17, 2009 7:45:37 AM

So you can't even boot into safe mode?
April 17, 2009 7:53:21 AM

Xstang said:
So I updated my Nvidia graphics drivers for my 8800gt, thinking that it might make my PC run better....hoo boy, they didn't !

shortly after startup, after the Windows XP loading screen is on for about 3 seconds, my PC bsod's (thank someone I got this black friday laptop!), and starts the post sequence all over again.

I set my overclock back to factory settings, try and start in "safe mode" - only to watch the command-line startup hang at the section where it mentions loading drivers (sry, dont know exact name right now).

The only other thing I did the last time I had it on was DL a windows security update. Anybody got an idea what to do? Not having my $900 gaming rig is killing me.

Anyways, here's my PCs relevant specs:

e8400
EVGA 8800gt
asus p5k-pro (p35 chipset)
2x 2gb ocz reaper ddr2 800
corsair 620 hx PSU
windows xp pro 32 bit

a huge thanks to anyone that can help, really.

If you have system restore turned on the computer should have made a new restore point when you installed the Nvidia drivers, I would suggest booting from the XP CD and then using system restore to revert to the earlier restore point.
Related resources
April 17, 2009 10:37:55 AM

First go into safe mode, then uninstall the driver, reboot and install older driver.
April 17, 2009 12:57:50 PM

baddad said:
First go into safe mode, then uninstall the driver, reboot and install older driver.

To bad he said he cant get in with safe mode.

Definitely try the system restore method.
April 19, 2009 6:37:12 AM

Just bumpin' this (only once, btw) in case anybody has any other suggestions.

Edit: and no, I can't boot into safe mode :(  and my copy of xp isn't exactly, um official....

Anyways, here's the last line windows displays when I try and boot in safe mode.....

multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys
April 19, 2009 8:14:04 AM

Can you boot from your "un-official Windows" CD/DVD? If so, the system restore function should still work.
April 21, 2009 7:33:53 AM

Xstang said:
Just bumpin' this (only once, btw) in case anybody has any other suggestions.

Edit: and no, I can't boot into safe mode :(  and my copy of xp isn't exactly, um official....

Anyways, here's the last line windows displays when I try and boot in safe mode.....

multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

Try to do these steps to recover this error:

>Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
>At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery Console.
>At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren c:windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys mup.old
expand <cd-romdrive>:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys
>After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
>Restart the computer.

The main reasons for this Windows XP or Win 2000 boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:

* Hard disk failure or corruption
* A corrupted registry or registry hive
* New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
* New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
* The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
* The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
* BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
* Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.

April 22, 2009 10:23:12 PM

mrmmacd77 said:
Try to do these steps to recover this error:

>Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
>At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery Console.
ren c:windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys mup.old
expand <cd-romdrive>:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys
>After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
>Restart the computer.

The main reasons for this Windows XP or Win 2000 boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:

* Hard disk failure or corruption
* A corrupted registry or registry hive
* New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
* New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
* The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
* The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
* BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
* Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.

I finally tried this. I got to the point where I entered the first command (mup.old), and the command line said access was denied.....

Any further advice? I've gotten ubuntu 8.10 to load on it again, but xp, um, anyone help?
April 28, 2009 2:10:48 AM

bumpin' one last time.
April 28, 2009 11:09:51 AM

well, didn't you pirate it, you said it was unofficial.
April 29, 2009 4:31:50 AM

Call M$... They'll hook you right up! :p 

Seriously though, boot from a Windows CD and either repair or reinstall. If ya haven't got one, get one. Otherwise, you'll likely have to format and reinstall your "unofficial" copy.
April 29, 2009 6:15:56 PM

If you have a different hard drive or a spare, this would be a good time to use it. It sounds like your OS is corrupted somehow :( 
!