Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking vs Adding ram

Last response: in Overclocking
November 25, 2010 2:30:34 AM

I'm a bit new to overclocking and ram so i have a couple of questions

1) Is it better to overclock a i5 760 with 4GB of ram versus staying at stock speed with 8GB of ram?

2) will overclocking or adding ram result in faster load times in games/apps/installing/windows?

thanks
a b } Memory
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 25, 2010 2:53:32 AM

-OC i5 760 with 4GB better tan default with 8GB RAM
-yeach OC ram make faster speed : u can change Low latency Hi clock , u know OC RAm worth for 4Gb .
adding Ram just same speed more capacity!

November 25, 2010 6:01:29 AM

you got the i5 760 over clock that cpu!! you won't be upset my friend!! my i5-760 is @ 3.82ghz.

1) it is better to OC with 2 sticks vs 4 sticks. so make that 2 stick the fastest stick. 4gb x 2. reason is, if you have 4 total sticks, you will end up using more power/volt, thus causing more heat to be created. In Oc less heat with more power is always better..... with that being said, henydiah, i have a question for you!

2)yes, your over all computer speed will increase. our i5-760 is rated to be what? 2.8ghz or 2.66? but with proper help and taking it easy... you can have a nice clocked system of at lease 3.4 to 4.2ghz.... keeping in mind going past 4.0 will result in more work... around 3.8x is right around keeping it simple...

either way, if you want more ram + overclocking, it is all fine!..... will result in more heat but as long you have a way to extract that heat, your fine.
a c 97 } Memory
a c 108 K Overclocking
November 25, 2010 4:01:10 PM

xfire21 said:
I'm a bit new to overclocking and ram so i have a couple of questions

1) Is it better to overclock a i5 760 with 4GB of ram versus staying at stock speed with 8GB of ram?

2) will overclocking or adding ram result in faster load times in games/apps/installing/windows?

thanks

If you will be using windows-7 64 bit, consider going to 8gb. Ram is relatively cheap. Get a 2 x 4gb kit. The price premium for 4gb sticks is not great.
It is easier to OC with two sticks vs. 4. But... OC with 4 sticks is still not hard.
Do not spend extra for faster ram or better timings. It is not worth it for the i7 cpu's. The FPS difference may be only 1-3% between the fastest and slowest ram.

Here is a recent article on larger ram:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

Here is one from Corsair:
http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN902_8GB_or_More_of_S...

OC will help in a minor way for everything, but probably not enough to notice. Considering how easy it is to do, a mild OC seems like a no brainer.

More ram is nothing but good. Initial load times will not be helped with more ram. But, Windows-7 will keep some of your game in ram in anticipation of reuse. It might actually load some things to ram before you need it.

If you use S3 sleep(sleep to ram) wake up is very fast and your apps are there almost instantly.
!