Solved

Overclocking a Phenom 555 on M4A785TD-M EVO

Hello all, This is my first overclocking attempt. I have a Phenom II x2 555 that i cannot get a stable overclock of 4.0 ghz or even 3.8. Prime last for about 5 minutes on 3.8 and about 1 nano second on 4.0. I adjusted the voltage a bit but not past 1.45, I believe the limit on this CPU is 1.5 right? Currently it sits at 3.6 ghz stable. The temperature never got past 95 F on prime and idles at about 65-70 F. I didnt screw with memory settings because I didnt see anything that looked relevant to my noobish eyes. I do understand that ram can hold back a cpu but my bios didnt give me alot of options for memory tweaking, at least i dont think it does? lol. I have cool and quiet disabled. I did not try to unlock any cores (dont really care to) and have advanced clock calibration disabled. I hope I am not doomed to 3.6 ghz with my current hardware, From all the forums and reviews I saw It seems like everyone and their dog could overclock this to at least 3.9. (lol im sad because I cant overclock my cpu and extra 8%). I would be greatful for any help.

550 watt PSU (dont know the brand to lazy to move the computer and take the side off to see)
motherboard - M4A785TD-M EVO
CPU - Wow you already know thats amazing! (Phenom II x2 555)
CPU cooler - Cooler Master H520 (or something like that)
Ram - 2 x 2 GB DD3 1066mhz (I think the brand is Advant)
GPU - GeForce 9800 GT (was sad to find out it was just a renamed 8800)
Case - A pretty black one with a 120mm case fan and a small one (80mm?)
OS - XP Pro 32 bit
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking phenom m4a785td
  1. how much Vcore, VDIM, RAM set timming?
    Ram - 2 x 2 GB DD3 1066mhz (I think the brand is Advant) down ratio or default ?
    how much Temperature fullload understress tess ?
  2. The ram's voltage is at 1.5v default i think.
    ratio is default to i believe
    the cpus temp at full load was 95 F i have no clue what the memory temp is
  3. i didnt see much in my bios to change memory stuff cept some dram speed and some other wacko settings with to many seemingly random letters and numbers when i set it from auto to manual. it only let me change my dram from 400mhz to 800mhz (wtf i thought the slowest ddr3 was 1066mhz)? dont know if that info helps any lol
  4. henydiah said:
    how much Vcore, VDIM, RAM set timming?
    Ram - 2 x 2 GB DD3 1066mhz (I think the brand is Advant) down ratio or default ?
    how much Temperature fullload understress tess ?

sorry i guess i have to go to your msg box and reply to it for you to get the msg lol
  5. I don't Know your CPU Black or NO ??????
    when u don't Know anything .....!
    use CPU-z Software & HW monitor download in www.cpuid.com
    in CPU-z u can see anything about speed,clock, Vcore

u can OC start again from 3.4Ghz it via BIOS just increase FSB only & the next Oc step by step
  6. henydiah said:
    I don't Know your CPU Black or NO ??????
    when u don't Know anything .....!
    use CPU-z Software & HW monitor download in www.cpuid.com
    in CPU-z u can see anything about speed,clock, Vcore

u can OC start again from 3.4Ghz it via BIOS just increase FSB only & the next Oc step by step

The CPU is a black edition. The tempertures im seeing in HW monitor are 30 C and under
    CPU Vcore is 1.31V to 1.34V
    FSB:DRAM = 3:8 | DRAM freq is 535.7mhz
  7. Best answer
    yep...nice info !
    just increase multiplier step by step + Increase Vcore 1.44 to 4Ghz
    Set RAM 3:8 8-8-8-23 & set max VDIM 1.65 (increase vdim step by step in option bios)
    HTlink go down 1600Mhz,
    Disabled cool n quite (C1E), disable spread spectrum, disabled Power Now(vandep technology)
    let other auto
  8. henydiah said:
    yep...nice info !
    Set RAM 3:8 8-8-8-23 & set max VDIM 1.65 (increase vdim step by step in option bios)
    HTlink go down 1600Mhz,
    Disabled cool n quite (C1E), disable spread spectrum, disabled Power Now(vandep technology)
    let other auto

Thanks for all your help im gona go to bed and mess with this tommorrow
  9. Don't forget your temperatur MAx 60~63C remeber Hot can damage Hardware !
  10. henydiah said:
    yep...nice info !
    HTlink go down 1600Mhz,
    let other auto

Well I tried what you suggested and it was stable at 4 ghz for about 5 minutes (an improvement over a couple of seconds). temps never went over 95 F.
    I ended up pumping the cpu voltage step by step to 1.49V, just below the red threshold, and the ram to 1.65V and it still wouldnt stay stable.
    Anyway I at least got it stable at 3.8 ghz so im better off now then when i started. I give up on getting it to 4 ghz, don't want to fry it.
    Guess i am going to have to live without an xtra 5 fps in my games lol.
    Thanks for your help.
  11. Best answer selected by MyMatrixUsername.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Phenom