VPU Recovery on 4890

PrimeX3

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I recently just finished with my build and I've been having this thing pop up on me ever since i first tried running a few of my older games.

My setup consists of:

Gigabyte 790g-udh mobo
AMD Phenom X3 720
Sunbeam CCF
Gskill 3gb memory(3x1gb)
Corsair VX550w PSU
and the Diamond 4890 1gb which has been a pain since i first fired her up.

Whenever I try running some games(Madden 08, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, KOTR 2, Empire Total War ETC.) the display would lock up and show a black screen and start flashing. Moments later a screen that reads VPU Recovery would pop up and by this time, the I can't really do much except reset my computer manually.

After some research, it seems that this was a problem on past agp ATi cards and haven't really seen any updated articles regarding this with the latest cards.

I've come across some solutions(increasing fan speed, disabling Catalyst AI, psu, etc), but so far none have worked. I've also updated my games, running Catalyst 9.4 drivers, and even reflashed my BIOS. I really don't know where to even start with my 4890 :pfff:

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
First, explaing VPU recovery. It's just protection ATI designed to prevent complete and total system crashes when VPU (Video Processing Unit, aka GPU) errors occur.

If you're absolutely certain you have enough power, the cabling is all perfectly installed, DirectX is updated, Drivers are updated, Windows is updated, etc etc etc, here is your course of action:

Take it back to the store or contact the e-tailer for RMA filing instructions and replacement options. If all it does is repeatedly crash and you've explored all relative hardware and software fixes, it's gotta be a defect of some sort.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Have you tried disabling the VPU error warning message?

I had similar problems with a Radeon 9800XT and San Andreas, constant freezes requiring hard resets.

Once I disabled the notification messages of VPU errors I had no further problems with any games.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Have you tried disabling the VPU error warning message?

I had similar problems with a Radeon 9800XT and San Andreas, constant freezes requiring hard resets.

Once I disabled the notification messages of VPU errors I had no further problems with any games.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

could be.

offtopic: the ts has a 4890 and he's not taking advantage of dx10??

ontopic: i used to have those rampant vpu recoveries as well with my 4850 (when i was still on xp), turns out its a busted card.

PrimeX3

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
thanks for the suggestion, but im ok with xp for now.

whats the possibility that it may be caused by the my psu? I asked on the AMD forums and one of them suggested that although my psu meets minimum requirements, it may still be causing a problem.

PrimeX3

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

yup disabled that too, but that doesn't work unfortunately

PrimeX3

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

yeah i was afraid this would be the case :??: I'll play around with it some more than I'll decide from there

Well, it is hard to say. That looks like a pretty decent PSU, but a VPU recover is exactly what you will get if the card is underpowered. It could also very well be the card. My 2900XT would VPU recover after a while when I was on the fringe of enough power, and my first 4850 was defective, so I've had both happen to me so I'm not sure which it is more likely to be. So, just to confirm, does it run the games at all for a while, or does it VPU recover as soon as it goes to full screen?

PrimeX3

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
guys i figured it out with possibly one of the most basic procedures. Feelin stupid now lol. Well I just downloaded driver sweeper and cleaned up any extra files/drivers. then I uninstalled CCC + 9.4 drivers. Restarted. Than reinstalled the 9.4 suite. Tried RB6 Vegas and KOTOR2 with no problems. Only thing is, I can no longer open CCC and a screen that says "Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.Implementation' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified".

I'll probably try to reinstall the latest CCC again. Atleast, I can play the games now.

PrimeX3

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
hey daedalus thanks for your posts on the other site and thanks for everyone's help.

wh3resmycarP: I'll give that a try