Sign in with
Your question

Vaccum clean a computer

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2009 6:06:55 PM

Hey!
Was going to clean my computer from dust.
Is it okay to clean a computer with a vaccum cleaner or will it ruin it?

thanks!

More about : vaccum clean computer

June 28, 2009 6:19:40 PM

I would say only the exterior with the case closed and with the vacuum on the lowest suction setting so you don't overspin the fans(with the nosle being at least 3-5 inches away from any vents)... what i found out to work best is a combination of a vacuum cleaner and a can compressed air, spray out any dust from inside the case and have the vacuum nosle about a foot and a half from the computer and all the dust pretty much flies in... make sure to keep the vacuum motor itself at least 5 feet away
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2009 6:55:25 PM

Never use a vacuum cleaner near elecronic chips. Static can kill them.

I agree, use compressed air. You don't need it spotless. In reality, you can have huge strands of dust coating your computer and it would run fine (as long as your fans still spin). Most "dust" problems are when a huge amount of dust collects and there's enough moisture to cause a short.

So, hard to kill a computer with dust. Easy with static discharge.
Related resources
June 28, 2009 7:11:46 PM

photonboy said:
Never use a vacuum cleaner near elecronic chips. Static can kill them.

I agree, use compressed air. You don't need it spotless. In reality, you can have huge strands of dust coating your computer and it would run fine (as long as your fans still spin). Most "dust" problems are when a huge amount of dust collects and there's enough moisture to cause a short.

So, hard to kill a computer with dust. Easy with static discharge.

Or if you get what I refer to as a 'processor blanket'. This happens when enough dust collects on your CPU heatsink that air can no longer move thru it, massively increasing temps.

Dust = heat. Heat is the enemy.
June 28, 2009 8:58:05 PM

I cannot believe how many people ask this question.
June 28, 2009 9:19:10 PM

jitpublisher said:
I cannot believe how many people ask this question.

Agreed, I thought it was the same thread I previously seen. To the Op, take it to where you buy your tires from and blow it out there, don't get the tip of the nozzle to close.
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2009 10:36:48 PM

Not much else to do - grandson got eliminated in semifinal baseball game today.
June 28, 2009 10:41:57 PM

Twoboxer said:
Not much else to do - grandson got eliminated in semifinal baseball game today.

Sorry to hear that. When I was in little league (1972) we took city one year and lost the following year, not going to A&W had to be the worst part.
June 28, 2009 11:06:15 PM

I use an electric leaf blower to clean all my computers. That thing is so powerfull that i have to use it from 6 feet away.
June 28, 2009 11:08:55 PM

slo said:
I use an electric leaf blower to clean all my computers. That thing is so powerfull that i have to use it from 6 feet away.

Now that don't sound like a bad idea, never thought of that.
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2009 11:18:00 PM

Actually, there's this woman I know . . .

Anyhow, this grandson is 7 playing in his second 7 and under tournament. Won last week, lost this week. 8 Year old starts tourny play next week. These two may go through August lol. What *great* fun to watch!
June 29, 2009 2:51:56 PM

Okay, you guys are going very off topic...
June 29, 2009 2:59:49 PM

Vacuum!?!? Wimps!!

Just strap the computer to the hood and go through a car wash. :D 

If you don't have a car, just rent a pressure washer. Solves the problem completely - Guaranteed!
June 29, 2009 3:12:28 PM

13ilbo said:
Hey!

thanks!

The best way to clean computers is to ahem ..... blow, not suck.....

If anything and your wanning to do it on the cheap unplug pc, go down to the local garage where the tyre inflator is and blow out the dust.

otherwise buy a can of compressed air or buy a air compressor...
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2009 6:11:14 PM

13ilbo said:
Hey!

thanks!

Its possible but not the best of options, if you did go that route because you didn't have any other options, keep the computer plugged into the wall outlet but P/S switched off, keeping the computer cord connected effectively grounds the computer case, [assuming your house electrical is properly grounded], absolutely do not use a plastic extension nozzle as air going through plastic creates static electricity, use a metal nozzle with one hand on the metal nozzle itself and the other hand constantly touching the case metal shell somewhere.

That will effectively ground any static discharge through the wall ground.

Do not get too close to any moving parts like fans, you can spin them up faster than they're made to go.

I personally only use a vacuum outside the case and I prefer if its a light dusting inside to used the canned air, if its a heavy dust buildup I usually take it outside to my shop and use my air compressor to blow it out, there in again always be careful of the fan spin up, you can destroy a cooling fan with too much air pressure. Been There, Done That !
!