Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Hi,

I've just recently purchased the OCZ 50Gb Revodrive (PCI-E SSD) and I'm experiencing some issues that I hope someone can help me with.

I've managed to set the drive as a boot drive (running Windows 7 32bit Home Premium) after updating my Mobos BIOS - I have an Asus P5K3 Deluxe and when Installing Win7 I had to install the drivers from a USB drive so the installation recognised the Revo. Anyway that a side, all is working fine, and VERY fast.

The problems that I am having is attatching an other storage drive. I have a 500Gb WD SATA II Hard drive that I would like to hook up, just for basic storage for work files and media files, etc, but when I hook it up, and boot up, the Revo is no longer deteced as a a boot drive, even thought it is set to the top in the boot priority list and boot list in BIOS - But when I un-hook the WD Drive, everything works fine!

I have the latest drivers installed for the Revo. The same thing happens with an older drive that I have.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help people can give me.

Nick

PS: I also have an issue with the Chassis Intrustion warning - I have a Thermaltake case if that means anything and there isnt an option to turn off this feature in the Mobo bios. If anyone can help me with this I would be very greatful!

I have to get on the floor and keep hold of the button in order for me to get past BIOS. I need to order a new case as mine is too small to hold a CPU water cooler, that as I have found out is frikkin huge, so I need to get a new case - But until then I need this warning to go away!

Thanks again!

You could try installing GRUB and then setting the location to the SSD by editing the config files.

This may or may not work and I'm assuming the BIOS is trying to boot the HDD before the Revo. And yes, you need to know how to configure/set up GRUB.

edit:
You do have the Win 7 partition on the SSD marked as "active" right?

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will look into GRUB and as far as I know the Win7 Partition is set to 'Active', but I will double check this when I get home.

I'm totally new to the world of SSD, and I think I threw myself into the deep end by going straight to the PCI-E SSD's and not doing enough/any research.

I don't know if this will make any difference but when I was setting the boot priority in the BIOS, it detects two partitions of the RevoDrive - one is Raid0 and the other Raid1. I've tried altering the order to see if the fix was something as simple as this, but in the end I just had to disconnect my WD mechanical HDD in order for me to boot into Windows.

I did read somewhere that there was a conflict with other drives installed in your computer when you try to boot to/from the Revo and they mentioned something about hooking up the other drives after you have installed Windows to the Revo, and changing the connection type in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI - I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't try this yet, but do you think this will make any difference?

Thanks again,

Nick

DO makesure you are on AHCI. Otherwise you will loose performance and run in to problems like this down the road.

What do you mean by it detecting 2 RAID partition on the Revo?

But yeah, you did make the mistake of going in to PCIe SSD with out doing research.

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
What do you mean by it detecting 2 RAID partition on the Revo

When it boots up, it states that there are 2 drives: 2 X 23gb Revo Drives ( I have a 50Gb Revo)

I've looked on the OCZ site and this seems to be the norm - If I didn't have this, that's when there is a problem apparently.

I will try setting it to AHCI - Would that be the reason why I only get a Windows Index Rating of 7.5 due to performance loss through the current setting I have it on now?

I've been looking around on the Internet, and through pages and pages of forums to find that I am not the only one to have this issue, and it seems I have been quite fortunate to get where I am now.

Hopefully setting the drive to read as AHCI will fix my problems (Fingers crossed!)

I guess I was naive to think that it would be as simple as fitting a normal mechanical HDD.

Cheers,

Nick