Problem with RAID 0 setup in Win7 64 bit

AKIRAx33

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I have installed Sunsway/ST Lab PCI SATA RAID 2P in a Windows 7 64bit system.

Windows found the drivers online and installed the card.

I have in the RAID BIOS setup a RAID 0 and it detects the 2 Western Digital 1,5 GB GreenPower disks.

I go into Disk Managenment and it automatically wants to initate the new drive.

Regardless of choosing MBR or GPT I get the error message:
"Virtual Disk Manager - Incorrect function" and I can press OK.

And thats kind of where I run out of ideas....

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thomas

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Is that the SiI 3132 chip? It should say on the chip, or in the drivers under Device Manager. I have a very similar (if not identicle card) and had a few problems with the windows drivers.
If it is, try getting the latest driver from here.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx

If not, try finding the relevant information such as other manufacturers of identicle cards, chip number...Then download an alternative driver.
You would want the RAID 5 driver.

If it is the card I am thinking of, you may find performance speed dissapointing.

AKIRAx33

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
The chip says: SiI 3512 ECTU128

I will see if I can find new drivers.

The card is intended to be used in a MediaCenter with to 5400 RPM GreenPower disks so speed is not vital. Quiet and cool is!

Thanks for you input!

Thomas

AKIRAx33

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Tried updating drivers...same error message.

Tried updating the BIOS on the card, but the BIOS tool cant find the card.

Thomas

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Are you able to try the card with smaller drives?
I have had recent problems with a few of my raqid devices that will not work properly with my Samsung F3EG 1.5TB drives, but function perfectly with my smaller (256GB) drives.

AKIRAx33

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
There are, but as far as I can tell they are sett to allow all access.

But my impression is that the card is not the most stable. So I have given it up, returning it and buying another card.

Thanks for you help and input though!

Thomas

4745454b

Titan
HUH? WTH are you doing? Setting up a media server where speed is not important and trying to use AID0? If speed is not important, why use AID0? Just plug the drives into SATA/IDE ports and be done with it. You probably don't want/need the added draw of the RAID card anyways. (and yes, I know it doesn't draw much.)

AKIRAx33

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I am not using RAID 0 to get the speed. I am doing it because I have 2x1,5 TB disks and I dont want to relate to two disks. I want to have one disk with one medialibrary on it. I have an old setup right now with two disks and I am very tired of remembering what disk contains what.

If you have a better solution for this, I am all ears.

Thomas

4745454b

Titan
Short cuts and folder/drive mapping? That way you can click on one folder, and see your video, music, picture, etc folders right in front of you. You only have to map them once. After that you can just drag and drop new stuff in.