Could DDR2-667 RAM replace for DDR-333 RAM

athensy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Hi there,

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 notebook, and would like to add more RAM to it. Could DDR2-667 RAM use on it? It's official support RAM specification is PC2700 (333MHz) 200 pin SO-DIMM memory.

Thanks in advance.
Athens

athensy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Thanks mongox,

I ask this stupid question, because I find that the price of DDR2-667 SO-DIMM RAM is much lower than DDR-333 RAM (I don't know why, do you?). So, I try to consult hardware guru in here to see whether I have chance to pay less money to get the job done. Clearly, I must take the expensive option.

Thank you very much for your help.

Athens

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Glad to help athensy, only stupid question is the one you need to ask but don't!

The "sodium" nature of the laptop RAM always makes it more expensive. In addition, anytime demand falls for an older product, the price tends to rise above the newest "hot-selling" RAM due to economic reality. In order to keep making older RAM, the makers charge more. The price per GB of RAM, like hard drives, falls the larger the item, until reaching the peak of technology, where it rises again. So that 256K RAM costs more per GB than 2GB RAM; a 120GB hard drive costs more per GB than a 640GB - but a 3TB drive is more per GB being new tech.

I recently purchased some 1GB DDRs for an older Motherboard, paying about $42 per module for a total of $125 for 3GB. They didn't work and I ended up getting a brand new M/B and 4GB RAM for it for the same price. The 2 2GB modules cost $50 compared to 3 1GB modules for $125.

Good luck and hope your upgrade goes well.