mrplod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hi all, my first question on here. My ASUS netbook picked up one of those spam malwares, where you are asked to pay X dollars to have them check your computer. I had to restore several time and on the last Saturday, it now has crashed and all I get is a flashing cursor in the top l/hand. I cannot get into BIOS or anything can someone help please?

Are you sure you can't get into the BIOS though? What happens when you turn on the PC, just get the flashing cursor?

If you can't even get into the BIOS, that's bad. You can try to reset it to factory defaults and see if that helps. You'd need to open the case up to get to the BIOS battery, and remove it for a few seconds. Unplug wall and battery power as well.

If resetting the BIOS does not get you anywhere, you are looking at replacing the motherboard or a new system.

Malware is not that hard to get rid off, not sure what you did to kill the system this badly, but next time use a program like Malwarebytes to clean it out, possibly along with a full anti-virus scan.