Solved

ASUS AH3650 capable of driving 2560x1600 and 1600x1200 at once?

I bought a 30'' (2560x1600) monitor in addition to my 20'' one (1600x1200) and I realized my current ATI Radeon Pro 9800 cannot drive the 30'' monitor at its native resolution.

I'm looking at dropping 1000 GBP for a new Core i7 system with all the latest and the greatest (which I think might be a bit too early as prices should come down, right?) OR just buying an AGP 8x video card which can drive these monitors both at once.

Gaming is not a very important issue as I realize my CPU will hold me back anyway no matter what GPU I get. My current system is Abit AN7 + Athlon Mobile XP 2500 (overclocked a bit) + ATI Radeon Pro 9800

The AGP card I'm thinking of is Asus AH3650 (fanless, 55 GBP):
http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=2171&l1=2&l2=9&l3=666&l4=0

The problem is that the information on the website is conflicting in different places:
Single dual-link DVI output which supports 2560 x 1600 at 30Hz resolution displays
Dual DVI-I
DVI x 2

What does that mean exactly? Does it have two Dual-link DVI-I connectors or just one?
Can I can drive 2560x1600 and 1600x1200 from it at the same time or not?

Any other suggestions for me?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus ah3650 capable driving 2560x1600 1600x1200 once
  1. Yep it will output no problem...
  2. Best answer
    +1 Rewindlabs. I have the 3650 as well, first monitor says 2560 x 1600 while the other says 1920 x 1440p you'll be fine.
  3. "Gigantic 512MB...."

Only ASUS.....

Anyways, although the solution will work, I have to sort of advise against buying the card as it has a history of driver/compatability issues (AGP version). Your system is a relic no offense, so you might want to give that notion of building a brand new system a second thought.
  4. spathotan said:
    "Gigantic 512MB...."

Only ASUS.....

Anyways, although the solution will work, I have to sort of advise against buying the card as it has a history of driver/compatability issues (AGP version). Your system is a relic no offense, so you might want to give that notion of building a brand new system a second thought.

My 260 GTX is 1 inch longer then a 4870...it won me hands down....yeahp my cards bigger then yours..and it is bigger then yours
  5. Well, the problem with upgrading my whole system (which I do actually have funds for) is that I'd really want to go the Core i7 route as I think that just makes the most sense, however I fear the prices of i7 components will go down quite a bit this year.

Or is that not true?

I'm also now looking at Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 PRO 512MB DDR2 AGP as an even cheaper low-cost option for 31 GBP from Lambda-Tek. It wouldn't be silent as the one before though but hopefully less driver problems.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/uk/products/products_overview.php?gpid=180&grp=2
  6. I certainly hope gaming is not your intention on any monitor with that resolution while using any AGP video card, no matter how good the card is. Playing a game at that rez would bring the card to it's knees. :)

I think any card from the X1xxx (such as the X1650) series and above will support that resolution, but I am not entirely certain. With prices starting at about $50 USD for X1650Pro going to $150 for the HD3850, somewhere in the middle is the compromise of the 2600Pro and 2600XT, with the XT being the better of the two.
  7. Thanks for all your responses.

My system is lagging in some of the tasks I do anyway so I've decided to do an upgrade ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-260566_10_0.html ).

RazberyBandit - yeah, I've not played any games at their native resolutions for a while now.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics