First attempt budget Rig

Tsugayashi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
So I've spent some time lately trying to figure out what a good rig would be for me to use comfortably. The one I'm on now uses SiS integrated graphics, the stock mobo, PSU, and cooler systems, and doesn't have a DvD-Rom installed. Yup... it's still just CD-Rom. Only thing I've done to this garbage is put a couple gigs of DDR1 RAM into it since mobo isn't DDR2 capable, and upgraded the OS from '98 to XP.

Now I've just decided to trash this entire system, since none of it is reusable. I've come up with the components for a new rig and wanted peoples opinions on it. Now keep in mind my budget only goes to $850.00 USD atm, including S&H What I've got now bumps up against the budget marker now.

1. AMD Phenom II x4 940 Quad Core
2. Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HTMI ATX AMD
3. Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 video card X-Fire rdy
4. Corsair CMPSU – 650T x 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
5. Sunbeam Transformer Case – Black /w Zalman Black 120mm Quiet front intake fan (Xoxide.com)
6. WD Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive
7. Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse
8. Sony DRU DVD/CD Burner (All formats)
9. Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB P66400 DDR2 (2 x 2048MB)

I already own a good Razer Lycosa board and the monitor is an HD WS I-INC... model number I can't find off-hand. Is this decent enough to run anything I want? (Benchmark Tests say the Phenom II quad will run Crysis at about 20-30 FPS with default to slightly higher settings.)

Oh I should also mention that I can get a deal on Newegg for the Mobo & processor as a bundle for $300, which is why that was chosen.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Here is a better case and better PSU for the same price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.176939

I'd get this ram instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231219&Tpk=g%20skill%20hk

Other than that it looks good. If you don't want to go for the 850tx/CM 690, you can change the case to the Antec 300 to save some money and have good cooling. I don't really like the sunbeam transformer, not very good cooling and the 80mm fans can get pretty loud.

Tsugayashi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah I figured once I got it put together and the next weeks paycheck came in I'd replace the stock cooling fans with better ones, but I haven't looked into aftermarket fans yet. Any recommendations?

Sadly the Sunbeam case has already been ordered and I can't afford to pick up another one just yet.

that transformer case will be fine . It looks awesome and it has enough fans to do the job .

You can modify the molex plugs to run the fans at 7 volts instead of 12 .
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/7volt.html
Thats slows and quiets the fan , but still moves enough air [ usually ].

Id run it as is for a week or two to see its all good and then change to the lower voltage ..... and check the temperatures are still fine .

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Well, you're going to be more gpu limited than cpu limited by games right now and the near future(I'm thinking 2 years). I think you'd benefit a lot more by going to something like the Phenom II X3 720 BE(or even the non-black edition to shave off more money), and upgrading the graphics card to a 4870 1GB or a GTX 260/Core216. You might want to change the HDD to the WD6401AALS, as it will offer better performance, more storage, and won't bump up the price much.

Thoughts?

Thats going to depend on the monitor resolution and what its used for .

Your system would be a stronger gaming pc now , but the quad can be made stronger just by adding a second 4850 or a newer more powerful card thats alway due in 6 months time .

I'd have to toss a coin on that for my own system , because I cant decide either way .

Tsugayashi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Well what's up there is just a basic rig for right now. That's what I can build now with my current funds. However I just got a new job so I'll be adding a second gfx card to X-fire with the 4850 later on without a doubt.

Oh as for my monitor... I already own this I-INC iW171A and had planned on keeping it for the new rig.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
For that monitor a 4830 would be enough. You don't need to upgrade to a 4870. A 4850 is overkill on that monitor, but if you upgrade the monitor later then you can consider crossfire.

Tsugayashi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

In the end everything is upgradeable. I'll probably end up giving the current monitor to my brother as I pick up a new one, but right now I'm more focused on getting the computer set up. Honestly monitor is second priority since I can get one of those at a moments notice.

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I usually don't advocate multi-gpu builds, because of scalability and game support. At the resolution you'll be playing at, a 4850 would be great though. Add another in at a later time, and you'll likely see large fps gains in the games that take advantage of Crossfire. The Phenom II 940 is a great chip, and after you pop a nice heatsink onto it, you can definitely overclock it in the future for a free boost in performance.

In anycase, I'd switch the ram to G.Skill Pi Black, and the HDD to WD6401AALS.

Tsugayashi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Will the large heatsinks on the Pi Black get in the way of the rest of my rig? I haven't actually seen any of the parts in person yet so I don't know the exact increments.

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
They shouldn't be an issue, unless you're using something like the cooler master v10 :p

I'd go for something like the Xigmatek S1283, or the thermalright ultra 120 if you can afford the luxury.