Delete write protected on kingston DT101 G2 16GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfwic

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
According to Kingston Tech the drive I bought in Thailand is a counterfit. Anyone have any luck removing the "write Protect"

mfwic

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for your reply,
You might get this twice,sorry. It showed errors in the FAT when I ran CHKDSK. I then formatted thru DOS with no errors. I loaded several files OK and then it returned "Write Protected" I tried a low level format thru Windows XP with the "Write Protected" error. In the old days there was a program called "Wipe Disk" It destryoed everything on a HDD allowing you to start from scratch. Anything like that around these days?? I also tried "Repair_2.9" Program runs but say "Unable to locate USB device"
Bob

mfwic

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Tried it - no luck. It cannot recognize what the file system is so doesn't know what to erase.

mfwic

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Tried both. The deep format show progress (green bar) but replies "Windows cannot complete format." I then tried DOS again and it identifies the file system on the stick as "RAW"
Water here she comes I think.

Thanks for your efforts

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
How to format USB drive with NTFS

First, connect your USB device to your computer. Then right-click on My Computer from the desktop and choose Manage.

Next click on Device Manager and then expand out Disk Drives. You should see your USB drive listed there as “Generic USB 2.0 USB Drive” or something similar.

Now right-click on the USB drive under Disk Drives and choose Properties. Then go to the Policies tab.

Now you will see two options, the “Optimize for quick removal” selected by default. Go ahead and change that by selecting the “Optimize for performance” option. This enables writing caching on the drive and therefore allows you to format it as NTFS.

That’s it. Now click OK and then go to My Computer. Right click on the drive in My Computer and choose Format. In the File System drop down you will now see the option for NTFS!

mfwic

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for your help. NTFS appears in the window but Windows is unable to complete the format. Tried thru DOS and it still returns RAW. Looks like the stick is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.