Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista Install Hang on new build

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2009 3:51:45 AM

OK, here goes. I just put together a new system and have been having mucho problems installing Vista. I have Vista Home Premium w/SP1 on an OEM DVD. I first booted from the DVD right after physically putting together the computer, fresh unformatted HDD and whatnot, and after the black & white "loading files" screen and the green "loading files" bar it went to the bluish-green background and just hung there. no installation menu or anything ever popped up, it just froze. After disabling/disconnecting anything USB related and trying again, to no avail, I installed XP pro just to make sure all the hardware components worked. This went normally and xp now runs fine on my computer. I've tried flashing the BIOS and playing a DVD in the dvd drive to make sure that was working and neither have affected the install process. I've also tried using only one stick of memory during the install and no luck. below is my build:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo (F4 update)
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem
6GB G.Skill ddr3 1333 triple channel kit
LG SATA Blu-Ray/HD-DVD DVD burner
EVGA GeForce GTX 295 vid card
WD Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA HDD

If anybody has any ideas, suggestions, or has had similar problems I'd really appreciate some help. I'm pretty much at a loss for how to make this work. XP is working fine which leads me to believe it's not a bad hardware component, just some driver issues or mobo compatibility quirk.

Best solution

March 26, 2009 4:11:57 AM

I have had similar problems installing Vista on certain motherboards it hangs and then works after about 5 minutes, are you waiting long enough before giving in. (5 minutes can seem forever) It then works perfectly after this
March 26, 2009 6:56:56 AM

don't really know about i7 memorys, but check the voltages. that can be the only logical explanation
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2009 7:23:27 AM

Wait longer because it looks like it hangs, give it 10 mins or so to be sure...
m
l
March 26, 2009 5:36:21 PM

I had the same problem on a new i7 build 6 weeks ago using a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, i7 920, Corsair Dominator memory, and a WD Caviar Black HDD. It hung for about 5-10 minutes, but then proceeded. I was doing a RAID 1 installation too.

Bottom line, give it some time to progress. What the inherent problem is though, I haven't a clue.
m
l
March 26, 2009 6:45:14 PM

I think it might be formatting the hard drive durning that hang time. But yes this hang time is normal. This hang time can be quite lengthy. I say give it even more than 5-10 minutes. Give it more like 30 minutes (after this then i'd start to worry).
m
l
April 10, 2009 6:39:42 PM

I also have the same motherboard, EX58-UD3R it hangs during installation... After black loading bar on the blueish screen with mouse... 1:10 CD spins, 2:40 please wait text appears, 5:00 CD spins again, 6:00 Language screen pops up. It also gets stuck on "expanding files 0%" for quite some time.

Vista x64 SP1 is currently installed but I'm still concerned about the setup issue! When the hard drive is removed it still hangs loading the vista setup. Memory had been memtested and removed down to one stick.

Current specs:
BFG Tech GS-550 550W
MoBo - GIGABYTE EX58-UD3R
CPU - Intel Core i7 920
DVD - LG 22X DVD Burner SATA
Hard Drive – WD 160GB 7200rpm SATA
RAM – G.Skill 16000/PC3-12800 3GB
Video - SAPPHIRE ATI HD 4830
m
l
April 11, 2009 1:10:57 AM

Redrum2489 in your case it sounds as though your CD drive is having problems reading the Vista install DVD.
m
l
!