Looking for a Fraps/Backup External HDD/SSD.

Doublefish

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Could anyone recommend a HDD/SDD for the purpose of recording Fraps video onto it and backing up my main SSD/HDD?

I hear that SSD's are pointless for Fraps because the write speeds aren't that much better, and it would be a waste and too expensive for a backup drive. I guess that leaves me looking for a decent external HDD.

It has to be external.

A little bit about my system:
USB3
eSATA
Firewire
SSD for Win7 and choice programs.
1TB 7200 RPM HDD partitioned into two sections, one for games, the other for media/random storage.

The reason I don't want to record Fraps video onto my main HDD is because it will have the game running from it and both running will significantly decrease performance, not to mention really wear it out.

I just don't really know what I need when it comes to this, any recommendations?

Thanks.

and external HDD would bebest suited for that USB3 would be great or eSATA, it will doa lot of writing onto the drive but I also imagne you CPU will be taxed a bit. How big of a HDD are you looking for, if its going to be a backup you may want it larger than 1TB.

Doublefish

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007

Well 1TB should be alright... plus cheaper. By the way I'm new to eSata and my eSata port is unpowered, not sure if most eSata drives come with external power source? I noticed a lot come with eSata and USB2, could I just use the USB2 for power? It might just be easier to use USB3 I guess. My CPU is a Phenom II X6 1055T running at 4.0GHz.

If anyone could make some recommendations in the next hour that would be great, looking to pick this thing up tonight.

Grab a good 3.5" HDD enclosure with eSATA and/or USB3. Then get a Samsung F3 1TB. That should work quite well. If budget isn't much of an issue, there are enclosures that support RAID 0/1/10 but these are pretty expensive. I really hate how most manufactures only put 5400/5900 rpm drives on their off shelf external drives. Imo, 5400rpm drives are DAMN SLOW.

I use this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043
With a 640GB WD Black. I don't use it that often since I have a NAS to where I store most of my stuff, I store the most important stuff on Dropbox or SkyDrive (using Gladinet: http://www.gladinet.com/ ).

Another option, assuming your system supports RAID:
Get 2x 500GB F3s and RAID 0 them for FRAPS. Having RAID will increase your sequential Read/Write which will(should) benefit FRAPS. A RAID set up like this can get pretty close to the performance of a good SF 1200 based SSD.

Then get a USB3/eSATA external HDD for back up.