KVM Switch Question

heldmacm

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hi all,

I recently developed a need for a way to use my laptop (which is only used for work) along with my home PC (desktop). Even though I have a separate keyboard/mouse for my laptop, I only have one computer desk and I don't have anywhere else in my place that's conducive to doing multiple hours of work at a time, so I thought the simplest solution would be to order a KVM switch for the two PC's. I ended up going with something economical (the TRENDnet TK-209K 2-Port USB Switch), which seems to be exactly what I need - until I ran into a problem hooking it up to my desktop.

My monitor and video card both only support DVI connection and the KVM switch only accepts a VGA connection (same as the laptop). So, once I realized that, I ordered an adapter that would allow me to plug my monitor into the KVM switch and then used the opposite kind of DVI > VGA adapter to allow me to go from the switch to my desktop. Given that I had two adapters hooked up to a single computer, I can't say I was surprised when I did not get any video output on my monitor using the switch. After doing a bit of research, I've found out a couple of things - they do make DVI KVI switches but 1). they're much more expensive and 2). my laptop doesn't accept a DVI connection. Is there anything I can do that will allow me to use the same keyboard, mouse and monitor on both of these computers without constantly unplugging them and plugging them in to the other device, which is what I'm doing now? Thanks for any help you can provide...

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I have a 4-ports KVM with VGA plugs and all my video cards are DVI, I use the DVI adaptor include with my VC and plug it into my VC then the VGA cable in the adaptor attach to the VC the I hook the other end of the VGA cable to my KVM and everything works fine...

heldmacm

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
That's how I had it set up to my DVI video card, but where I think it's "breaking" is connecting my DVI monitor to the KVM.