PC Bluray player stops when using HDMI to DVI cable to TV

jpconte

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
When I play a bluray movie on the built-in Bluray player on my HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Laptop with graphics by Nvidia PureVideo HD, it works fine. However, when I connect the HDMI cable to the laptop and the other end of the cable to my DVI port on my TV, the movie stops, stating I am violating a copyright protection: "The content is protected. The content is not allowed to play in the current display mode." Why not? When I exit the player, my PC Screen is emulated perfectly on my TV using those same connections. Is there a setting I must change on my PC? Why is there an HDMI port out on my PC if I cannot use it?

jpconte

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Yes it is. My TV is a 26" Olevia Multi-Media Display LCD, LT27HVX Series. My manual states: "DVI/HDCP and VGA Port - This display includes a DVI input that receives analog or digital video signals through the interface for the display of high quality digital video signals. The DVI port is HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compliant and is fully compatible with video equipment that features the HDCP function. The VGA input can be used for analog RGB signals from a HD receiver or personal computer. Resolutions supported are VGA, SVGA, XGA wxGA. DVI and VGA share Audio L/R inputs." As a side note, the VGA port when connected to my TV's VGA port does NOT duplicate the screen output of the HP Pavilion, only the HDMI output from the HP to the DVI input on the TV duplicates the HP Pavilion screen display. Thanks for any suggestions you may have. --John Conte

leon2006

Distinguished
What software do you use to play Blue Ray, Power-DVD? If you are using PowerDVD run the Cyberlink/Power DVD advisor. It will indicate which part of your setup is non compliant to HDCP. You can take it from there.

If you are using a different playback software check for a TOOL that verify HDCP compliance.

In my setup i can play Blue-Ray and HD-DVD through HDMI and Component Output(Analog). In both setup my display is at 1080P.

jpconte

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Thanks for the tips. I am using HP Quickplay. There was no hint of help, but you got me to thinking. i went into Control panel and clicked on the Nvidia panel. I changed the display settings to single monitor, LCD monitor instead of dual display, and applied this setting. This immediately changed my viewable display to my lcd TV. Then when I played a bluray movie on my PC, it works fine on my LCD TV's DVI connection. This will be a bit inconvenient, to have to switch the display back and forth when I want to watch a movie vs working with my laptop lcd screen, but at least I now have a work around solution. Thanks again for leading me to a solution. --John Conte