BIOS may have been compromised. How to fix it?

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800.

I "inherited" a computer that had a "cracked" version of Vista on it. I have a legitimate version of Vista and wanted to install it.

I installed it and had it format the hard drive. During the installation it never asked for the product code and installed using the cracked product code, which I verified after it installed because there was a product code already there. I believe the code somehow got hard coded into the BIOS.

I have tried to flash the BIOS with the rom from the ASUS website and reinstalling, but no luck. Still keeps installing with the cracked product code. I put in a new hard drive and reinstalled again. No luck.

I can't figure out what else to do.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about bios compromised
  1. You don't have to worry about the BIOS, an OS install can't affect it.

Did you format the drive from within the Windows install/setup program? If so then what's probably happened is that the setup program read the old key from the disk before formatting and then applied it to the new system - I've seen this sort of thing happen with XP installs.

Here's what I'd do: Boot into the setup program, delete all of the partitions, then shut down before it can copy any files onto the disk. Then start the setup over again - now that the disk is blank the install program will be forced to install from scratch with no leftovers from the old system.
  2. Thanks. I'll give it a try.
  3. Well, I have tried just about everything. I cannot get Vista to install. I am now thinking it must be an issue with the motherboard, so the next thing I will try is replacing that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus BIOS Windows Vista Motherboards