Sign in with
Your question

BIOS may have been compromised. How to fix it?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 11, 2009 6:08:46 PM

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800.

I "inherited" a computer that had a "cracked" version of Vista on it. I have a legitimate version of Vista and wanted to install it.

I installed it and had it format the hard drive. During the installation it never asked for the product code and installed using the cracked product code, which I verified after it installed because there was a product code already there. I believe the code somehow got hard coded into the BIOS.

I have tried to flash the BIOS with the rom from the ASUS website and reinstalling, but no luck. Still keeps installing with the cracked product code. I put in a new hard drive and reinstalled again. No luck.

I can't figure out what else to do.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : bios compromised fix

a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2009 7:53:57 PM

You don't have to worry about the BIOS, an OS install can't affect it.

Did you format the drive from within the Windows install/setup program? If so then what's probably happened is that the setup program read the old key from the disk before formatting and then applied it to the new system - I've seen this sort of thing happen with XP installs.

Here's what I'd do: Boot into the setup program, delete all of the partitions, then shut down before it can copy any files onto the disk. Then start the setup over again - now that the disk is blank the install program will be forced to install from scratch with no leftovers from the old system.
m
l
September 11, 2009 8:10:27 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
m
l
September 21, 2009 3:46:43 PM

Well, I have tried just about everything. I cannot get Vista to install. I am now thinking it must be an issue with the motherboard, so the next thing I will try is replacing that.

m
l
Related resources
!