Sign in with
Your question

Wanting to upgrade Power Supply, please help!

Last response: in Components
June 30, 2009 3:29:51 AM

:cry:  Hi! I am somewhat new to these forums, but I have been lurking some so I hope I am in the right place. A little about my background.

I have a older machine. It is an emachines W4685. Up until about 3 months ago, it has been an excellent little machine. I play a few graphics heavy games and do some work with my photos on it and it was able to handle it all with no problems. About 3 months ago, it crashed. I had to completely reinstall Windows and I though that fixed the problem. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I started getting BSOD, but they were never consistent. Always different. I really think I have had just about every one I could have. I have changed my ram with two new sticks from
Crucial and changed the CMOS battery. I have tried several different programs and the ram is perfect. The past couple of days, I haven't been able to log into my computer at all. The first obstacle I was presented with was system32 was missing or corrupt. I was able to recover from that and get back into windows. But, each time, I am only able to get to the Windows welcome screen. It either gives me a BSOD or reboots. I do not have a lot of specifics, but I can remember some specs about my computer.

emachines W4685
Pentium 4 processor
2.6 Ghz
2 GB ram

From what I have gathered around the net, it could be a number of problems. The one that really sticks out to me is the power supply. What do you all think? If it is the power supply, what can I upgrade to. I have a Bestec ATX-300-12e. Any help is appreciated. Right now, I am using a friends laptop. My computer is just taking up space. Will a new power supply help or could it be something else? Should I save myself the headache and just get a newer, better syste? I am pulling my hair out!

June 30, 2009 6:50:37 AM

Hi lashes,

Before trying to change your power supply, have you considered replacing your hard drive? That system32 corruption is probably because your hard disk is no longer working properly.
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2009 1:39:50 PM

First thing that you should do is to scan the hdd for the bad sectors.
June 30, 2009 3:39:02 PM

I had thought about changing the hard drive. Before it became completely unusable, I scanned the hard drive and it came back with 0 errors. But, I am up for any kind of advice. So, what brand of hard drive would work best in my computer? I don't want anything that is going to break the bank, but is going to get my computer up and running. Thanks in advance.
!