Wanting to upgrade Power Supply, please help!

:cry: Hi! I am somewhat new to these forums, but I have been lurking some so I hope I am in the right place. A little about my background.

I have a older machine. It is an emachines W4685. Up until about 3 months ago, it has been an excellent little machine. I play a few graphics heavy games and do some work with my photos on it and it was able to handle it all with no problems. About 3 months ago, it crashed. I had to completely reinstall Windows and I though that fixed the problem. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I started getting BSOD, but they were never consistent. Always different. I really think I have had just about every one I could have. I have changed my ram with two new sticks from
Crucial and changed the CMOS battery. I have tried several different programs and the ram is perfect. The past couple of days, I haven't been able to log into my computer at all. The first obstacle I was presented with was system32 was missing or corrupt. I was able to recover from that and get back into windows. But, each time, I am only able to get to the Windows welcome screen. It either gives me a BSOD or reboots. I do not have a lot of specifics, but I can remember some specs about my computer.

emachines W4685
Pentium 4 processor
2.6 Ghz
2 GB ram

From what I have gathered around the net, it could be a number of problems. The one that really sticks out to me is the power supply. What do you all think? If it is the power supply, what can I upgrade to. I have a Bestec ATX-300-12e. Any help is appreciated. Right now, I am using a friends laptop. My computer is just taking up space. Will a new power supply help or could it be something else? Should I save myself the headache and just get a newer, better syste? I am pulling my hair out!
3 answers Last reply
More about wanting upgrade power supply help
  1. Hi lashes,

Before trying to change your power supply, have you considered replacing your hard drive? That system32 corruption is probably because your hard disk is no longer working properly.
  2. First thing that you should do is to scan the hdd for the bad sectors.
  3. I had thought about changing the hard drive. Before it became completely unusable, I scanned the hard drive and it came back with 0 errors. But, I am up for any kind of advice. So, what brand of hard drive would work best in my computer? I don't want anything that is going to break the bank, but is going to get my computer up and running. Thanks in advance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components