johnnieso

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
hi all, Ive got a few questions about the use of External HD (enclosures) & differences between USB2 & USB3.

Ive recently got new motherboard that supports the new USB3.0, & I also still have external HD that still on USB2.0, would the USB2.0 Ext-HD still work with my new Mobo USB3.0 plugs when I plug them into it? (Like slower but still compatible?)

If they still work, Im gonna need a an external HD enclosure that works with a Seagate PATA/100 750GB 16MB cashe 3.5 HD, any recommendation for the enclosure?

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

I believe that you can plug a USB2 device into a USB3 socket, although you won't get the speeds that USB3 is supposed to be capable of. (In my case I have added a USB3 interface card and USB3 drive to my Asus Rampage Extreme motherboard, (which does not support USB3), but can only see a speed increase of two, rather than the six times which I have seen quoted.)

Viv

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006

Sure old USB 2.0 will work with USB 3.0 as it is reverse compatible as for the other question, id suggest you get a USB 3.0 enclosure as to use your drive at its peak performance, otherwise you will be limiting it due to the USB 2.0 low bandwidth.
If you allready have USB 3.0 why not use it right?

johnnieso

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
thx for input Viv, yea I think i saw another article about that USB3 speed thingy somewhere. So in my case I dont need to worry to get USB3 interface card & just need to get external HD enclosure which have USB3.0 interface plugin right?

johnnieso

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

but is there enclosures out there that has IDE PATA/100 > USB3.0 out there? cuz I need to transfer data from an old HD which is PATA/100 750GB, after I done getting the data out of it I can wipe that drive use it as whatever purpose. So if there's enclosures out there that has interface for IDE > USB3 I'd be glad to see any recommendation enclosures from u guys.

Thx & good call x3style

johnnieso

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
thx x3style:

The 1st one is a bit fancy, the old IDE drive I got prolly gonna stick with external enclosure until it dies, so I'll go for the 2nd pick. However, I look at its back, it doesnt have an On/Off power switch, so is this the type where when u turn on PC, the enclosure turns on automatically too? If so, is there one like this but with an On/Off switch too?

Thx again. This is great help.