Sign in with
Your question

New game system not able to game?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2009 3:52:45 AM

just built a new computer for gaming, cant play any games on it..... motherboard is asus formula II with AMD phenem 2 quad core black edition @ 3ghz 4 gigs of OCZ reaper ram asus nvidia 260 with 1100 watt PS. OS is vista premium SP1 with ALL updates. all drivers are the latest. so far i have uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers i can think of and even upgraded from XP pro to vista. nothing has helped. Have been building and fixing computers for a long time so i have pretty much tried most of the first things you could think of to fix problem. Had this problem with both operating systems. When i start a game it could be 2 seconds or 20 minutes before it crashes, when a crash occurs the entire computer goes down with no blue screen just a pixilated screen and the sound is stuck. control alt delete doesnt respond. here is a link to the photo of the crash, not that its gonna help much LOL

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt1/origionalwinja/D...

More about : game system game

April 18, 2009 4:42:23 AM

How dissapointing :( ,,,..
On both os's,you say ?? seems like a hardware conflict,if you are running 4x1 of ram then I would suggest 2x2,OTOH, the only thought that comes to mind is to bench the beast and test component by component,stupid thought ,,you are sure of your bios support,,eh what ??,,and maybe test your video card in a known working system??:) 
April 18, 2009 4:51:28 AM

running 2 gigs X2, the only thing i can think of is bad video card, but if im not mistaken shouldnt the vid card cause issues with other things? like video playback? I checked on compatability these items are made to run together. im about to take it to the shooting range.... :( 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 5:03:53 AM

Check your power supply as well, but that looks like artifacting to me. What do temps look like on your graphics card? Could be a bad card.
April 18, 2009 5:30:00 AM

just removed GTX 260, using onboard video now nvidia nforce 780a sli. blue screen of death playing final fantasy 11. if this matters, if im not logged on (log in screen is all thats up) the screen saver tries to come on but says direct 3d not installed. this is not correct as i have direct x 10 latest. could this be an issue?
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 7:22:30 AM

Are you overclocking the CPU or RAM? No heat issues? Run Prime95 and Memtest and see how stable your system is first before you game.
April 18, 2009 8:39:17 AM

Quote:
and the sound is stuck.

This sounds like a power or heat issue.

If not I would suspect a bad mobo.
April 18, 2009 9:03:40 AM

temps are find in case and on chips. PS is 1100 watts, just took it off the tester and passes all tests for voltage output and reliability running prime95 as i type this. i will see how it turns out in the morning and post results.
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 12:20:00 PM

What voltage is your memory running at? Raper memory requires some pretty steep voltage, like 2.3 volts.
April 18, 2009 7:00:40 PM

Voltage is at 2.2v as per OCZ recommendation, timing was on auto. I set that up manually according to OCZ recommendation as well, its now 5-5-5-18. in my experience the hardware is usually not the bad guy in all this, but a setting not right or a user error ravenware but im willing to consider anything right now. another interesting thing i mentioned earlier (up the thread a ways) was this little querk which i happened to catch a pic of. check out the pic and tell me what you think. As i stated before i have directX 10 and just got finished checking it again to make sure im not telling a lie to the group here.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt1/origionalwinja/D...
a c 165 U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 7:27:51 PM

Sounds like you know what you`re doing so excuse me if I sound like I`m taking the pi**
Have you updated DX? It does n`t update automatically as far as I know so even a fully updated Windows installation does n`t guarantee updated DX files.
Run Dxdiag, perhaps you have a corrupted file.
Run with just one memory stick, Memtest has been known to get it wrong and this is sounding like a memory problem.
April 18, 2009 7:45:53 PM

coozie7 said:
Sounds like you know what you`re doing so excuse me if I sound like I`m taking the pi**
Have you updated DX? It does n`t update automatically as far as I know so even a fully updated Windows installation does n`t guarantee updated DX files.
Run Dxdiag, perhaps you have a corrupted file.
Run with just one memory stick, Memtest has been known to get it wrong and this is sounding like a memory problem.

i did the dxdiag but im not convinced it isnt corrupted, especially since im getting the "install directX 9" on the screen saver. I have in the last week gone to MS website and downloaded directX 10. ill try reinstalling it to see if thats a fix. thanks for your reply :D  I also have another question as i have not seen this in the past. in the display properties it says i have zero (0) system video ram, can this be a problem? check the pic to see what im talking about

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt1/origionalwinja/s...

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 8:04:22 PM

Maybe too obvious, but.... Did you disable the onboard GPU in the BIOS when using the GTX 260?
a c 165 U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 8:16:00 PM

I think (do n`t know) it refers to the onboard video:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010488.htm

Which should be disabled with the GTX260 installed, hence the zero reading.
And if you have not done so, try the system with just one memory stick in at a time, this has been a problem in the past.
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 10:12:08 PM

marco might be right. since dx10 is re-written from scratch, i doubt that its backwards compatible. you prolly need both installed
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 10:28:37 PM

memtest86 for 8 hours minimum
April 18, 2009 11:53:42 PM

thanks uncfan_2563 that might be your problem but couldn't hurt i have vista and thats what i had to do to play older games when i run dxdiag it says i still have directx 10 ? i think it just instakks some directx files it needs
April 19, 2009 1:11:49 AM

Definitely check your memory.
April 19, 2009 3:13:27 AM

DXRick said:
Maybe too obvious, but.... Did you disable the onboard GPU in the BIOS when using the GTX 260?

not an option, unfortunately. only place onboard video can be disabled is in computer management in the operating system.
April 19, 2009 3:43:12 AM

Try Prime95, I suppose. Worth a shot.
April 19, 2009 3:46:23 AM

smithereen said:
Try Prime95, I suppose. Worth a shot.

i ran that all night last night. it didnt come up with any errors. getting ready to pull out a stick of ram and try running games that way. then swapping out the sticks just to make sure that its not the ram.
a c 236 U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 4:05:19 AM

I suspect that the 3Dmode of your card is defective.
Sometimes parts are defective. I would RMA it if you can't find the cause elsewhere.

As I understand it, the vga card has a low power 2D mode for normal web surfing and such work. When the game starts, it will enter 3D mode. It looks like that is when your problem starts. It could possibly be a PSU issue, because 3D takes more power, but I would bet on the vga card.

For what it is worth,
My GTX260 also shows 0 video memory and 896mb dedicated video memory.
My shared system memory is 2046mb, and the total available graphics memory is 2942mb.(2046+896)
I have 6gb of ram, so I think that part is normal.
April 19, 2009 4:33:23 PM

Could you test the video card in another system? If it doesn't work, RMA time.
April 22, 2009 3:56:30 AM

got it figured out. I earned the dumbass award of the century in the process. I have dual channel memory but had the ram set up wrong. one blue one white one blue one white... had one stick in blue one stick in white should have both been in blue. Thanks for everyones help in trying to get this figured out!
a c 236 U Graphics card
April 22, 2009 4:18:50 AM

winja said:
got it figured out. I earned the dumbass award of the century in the process. I have dual channel memory but had the ram set up wrong. one blue one white one blue one white... had one stick in blue one stick in white should have both been in blue. Thanks for everyones help in trying to get this figured out!

Thanks for the update and solution.

I am very surprised that memtest did not fail, and that the problem showed up as a video card issue.

I Learn something new every day.
!