New Build for an Old Builder

unseencourage

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I want to build a new computer. Last time I built one was 6 years ago. I have a $1000 budget to work within. Please help me pick parts. Here are my preferences, not necessarily my loyalties - I will probably be using newegg.com or zipzoomfly as I've had good success in the past ordering from both companies. These preferences have been created from my own research and word of mouth and reviews of products:

PSU: Corsair (enough power to run two cards down the line)
HDD: Western Digital (Big, but doesn't have to break the bank big)
GPU: Nvidia (at least 9800 GTX+)
CPU: Intel (Quad Core for sure, not sure if I can afford an i7 build - surprise me you can)
MOBO: Asus or Evga (I have heard negatives about nvidia SLI boards, but would still like to do sli - Do I use a p45 or an x48/x58 board? This is the big stumper (I don't want to have to upgrade the mobo for a long time to come))
RAM: Corsair (Do I need the power of ddr3 or is ddr2 just as good for now? Will I regret not getting a mobo that can handle ddr3?
CASE: Coolmaster (I want this thing as QUIET as possible)
COOLING: Air vs water (I have no idea how to do water, so air flow cooling, despite my desire for QUIET, will have to work)

Other notes: I want this computer primarily for gaming and some business. I have a nice 22" Asus monitor that runs at 1600x1200 native resolution and would like to play all my games at 1600x1200. It doesn't handle hdmi so that is not as important right now either. I have good speakers, not that important and a good mouse and keyboard already. I also feel confident in finding my own optical drive and sound card.

Thanks for your advice before hand

If you insist on SLI, then you can't use P45 or X48 because those are Crossfire-only. You'd have to take your chances with a 750i and a Q9550 (or lower), or bite the bullet and go for i7 and an X58.

You could try something like this:
GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI $210
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128386
i7 920 $280
3x2GB DDR3 $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227388
WD6401AALS $80
Corsair 850TX $110

Total so far $780. You still need $100 for Vista Home Premium 64-bit and $30 for DVD. You don't absolutely need a sound card or an aftermarket CPU cooler. You're left with $90 for a case (RC-690 would fit, it's not very quiet but it's cheap). The problem is we consumed all the budget and there's no graphics card in there :(

Can you spend $1500 instead of $1000? That would allow a GTX 285 card and an upgrade to CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 i.e. a top quality video card and a quiet case.

If not, I'd suggest a Phenom II 940/790GX combo ($304 at Newegg) and a HD 4870 1GB card and a Corsair 750TX. Then you can do Crossfire later.