How do I setup Raid 0 for Storage + SSD for OS?

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I am getting ready to build a new desktop and have a 64GB SSD that I plan on putting the OS on and 2x Caviar Black 640GBs I would like to put in Raid 0 for storage. What are the steps in the process for this to work? I have setup a Raid 0 before but I was under the impression if you switch your BIOS settings to RAID then everything has to be raid? Or can things be set seperately in the BIOS?

Also can the Hard drives all be connected when I go to install my OS on the SSD? Or should I just connect the SSD to install the OS then add the 2 Caviar blacks after the OS is installed?

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
It depends on the brand of mobo and hard drive you're using. If you're using the
Wd caviar black's with 64MB caches (these are the latest ones) Well, its
bios are configured to accept raid 0 configs on Intel Matrix RAID Storage
Technology only. If you're planning to use a third party RAID card, 99 percent upon
configuring or setting up your RAID 0 it will break or collapse because those wd
caviar black 64mb cache hard drives are designed by Western Digital lately for raid
configs only on a non-server type mobos.

IF, your mobo supports Intel Matrix storage technology(simply by looking at the
mobo's manual) then rest assured you can set your two wd caviar black's to
RAID 0 config without any hassle, all you have to do is go to your mobos BIOS
then find the raid settings, then set the two wd caviar blacks to 0 config and follow
the preceding instructions to finish the RAID set up, though the settings
may vary depending on the brand of motherboard, but as you read you mobo's
manual you can easily follow the instructions there.

-- Just incase you managed to set the two caviar blacks on Raid 0 config, Well, just
set your extra SSD to the other free socket of your mobo then restart your pc
reformat your raid 0 drive and your SSD (as separate drives) then install windows
and follow the instructions and choose your caviar black's as your C drive where
windows OS will be insalled and thats it! :)

jdbaker82

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Nothing is installed yet I have not built it but when I do can I plug the SSD and (2) WD Caviars into the mobo VIA Sata before I fire it up for the first time? Should I install the OS first on the SSD or go into the BIOS and setup the Caviar blacks for RAID 0? I know sometimes when you go to install Windows 7 it likes to put files on other hard drives if it sees them available. All the components are new so I am going to assume it supports the Intel Matrix and that the Caviar Blacks are 64MB Caches.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I have not built it but when I do can I plug the SSD and (2) WD Caviars into the mobo VIA Sata before I fire it up for the first time?
-- Yes, but configure your two caviar balck's first to RAID 0, after that if you set it right then plug the SSD to the other free sata socket then
turn your PC on. Wait for the BIOS to detect the settings you made, then its now ready for OS installation. :)

Question:
Can i know the brand of SSD you're planning to buy? If you are buying a very high end 64GB SSD, then i strongly suggest
you install the OS there, because a WD non-server type 640gb 64mb cache hard drive set to RAID 0 performs only as fast
as mid level SSD's. So the high end SSD ones like the Vertex 1 or 2 will smoke it big time when it comes to read, write and
seek,.. you name it. If you're buying a mid level 64MB i also suggest you install your OS there also, because SSDs are much
reliable than platter hard drives also, another advantage of installing the OS on an SSD is that you dont need to defrag it
because the segregation of data inside an SSD are in fixed state so no matter how cluttered the data inside it when the system
accesses data, it will just go to the locations as fast and as easy because there's no moving parts that takes time to seek and
cache data.