Sign in with
Your question

How far can I take my Core i7 930 with this aftermarket cooler?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Intel i7
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 27, 2010 5:32:58 PM

How far can I overclock my Core i7 930 using a ZALMAN CNPS9900?

I've seen the Core i7 920 OC'ed to 4.0 GHz with sub-70 *C under 100% CPU benchmarking load using this cooler.

Of course, no video game will load your CPU up to 100%, so I would imagine your gaming temperatures would be much lower.

My case, the Coolermaster HAF 932 has very high airflow, which may further assist in this cooling.

3.4 or 3.6 GHz shouldn't bee too hard?

More about : core 930 aftermarket cooler

a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2010 7:01:54 PM

Sub 70?No way.Even the megahalems struggles to keep it at the 70s.You should be be to get it to 3.6-3.7ghz with safe temps if leave hyperthreading on.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 4:25:03 AM

Hello ambam... i remember your earlier post... did you test the cooler with different OC levels in idle and load??? try going step by step with the OC and the moment you touch 85 on load then thats the max you can go... 85 is ok under 100% load which is not going to be the case with your rig all the time... 85 in load translates to 70 in normal operation...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 28, 2010 3:24:04 PM

abully said:
Hello ambam... i remember your earlier post... did you test the cooler with different OC levels in idle and load??? try going step by step with the OC and the moment you touch 85 on load then thats the max you can go... 85 is ok under 100% load which is not going to be the case with your rig all the time... 85 in load translates to 70 in normal operation...

My computer hasn't been built yet, December 7th is when I'm having it put together by an electronics store.

I was just wondering what speeds I can reach with this cooler, and whether or not it will physically fit into my MSI X58 motherboard without being obstructed by the northbridge heatsink or the capacitors.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2010 2:44:13 AM

Reaching desired speeds is one thing... controlling your temps is another... that said take it step by step to reach max OC under the max temp... 4 Ghz shouldnt be a problem but it depends on a lot of conditions and permutations... your case is good but the cooler is not top notch... try getting one of the top cooler as it will assist you to take your OC further... the best way is to take one baby step at a time and check the temps and volts...
m
l
November 30, 2010 12:53:04 AM

abully said:
Reaching desired speeds is one thing... controlling your temps is another... that said take it step by step to reach max OC under the max temp... 4 Ghz shouldnt be a problem but it depends on a lot of conditions and permutations... your case is good but the cooler is not top notch... try getting one of the top cooler as it will assist you to take your OC further... the best way is to take one baby step at a time and check the temps and volts...

How do I know the correct voltages for my desired clock?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 6:31:52 AM

you have to go though a lot of reading materials before venturing into manual OC configs... there are lot of reading materials including in this forum... http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259903-11-overclock...

You can also look into other sites like overclockers.com, overclock.net, there are lots of em... post in some forums and experts can guide you on this...
m
l
November 30, 2010 2:52:12 PM

abully said:
you have to go though a lot of reading materials before venturing into manual OC configs... there are lot of reading materials including in this forum... http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259903-11-overclock...

You can also look into other sites like overclockers.com, overclock.net, there are lots of em... post in some forums and experts can guide you on this...

Overclocking can damage or destroy your CPU, GPU, and RAM. Costing you big bucks in repairs. Not to mention voiding any warranties the hardware may have come with.

Overclocking is an extremely intricate process. If it isn't done very carefully, and you don't know what you're doing, your hardware is toast!
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 3:00:36 PM

Here is the thing: not all hardware will overclock to the same speeds that 'Joe User' posted on some forum. Yes, there are certain expectations that most components will at least reach a certain performance platform based on criteria such as the actual chip specs, motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler and PSU used. There are many variables needed to accomplish a successful overclock, and any one of them can result in a lower clock or even a failure or burnt components. This is just how electronics work...not every component can or will operate or reach the potential that every other user posts on a forum.

If you know enough about overclocking a CPU, why not build your own box instead of having a store charge you extra for it? From the way it sounds, you might want to read up on some forum stickies on overclocking.
m
l
!