SLI system crash, maybe the PSU?

Andhrimnir

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
I've got an issue with my SLI system, and I'm beginning to suspect the PSU. The cards are 9800GTX+'s from EVGA (two of them) and the PSU is a RAIDMAX RX-730SS.

The problem never occurs (as far as I've seen) when web browsing, watching video, etc. It only happens when playing games. Not all, but several. Crysis Warhead, Oblivion, and Team Fortress 2 are among them. When running them, the computer completely powers off without warning. This usually happens as soon as the game has loaded (menus work fine, but right after the actual game starts it crashes). Upon booting back up I get a 'windows did not shut down properly, do you want to boot in safe mode?' message.

The PSU I have is 730W, which is plenty. But it's got two +12V rails. I've read that this is less than ideal for SLI/Crossfire systems, though I don't know why. Is it possible that this is the problem? I was considering ordering a new PSU from Newegg, maybe a Corsair or some other quality brand with a single 12V rail. Could this help?

Thanks,

-Andhrimnir

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I've had the same issue running my SLI 9800 GTs (not really random shutdown as I know certain games require more of the GPUs to operate full load - Crysis, CoD4, etc). It was my PSU cutting out.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Guys,

It sounds like the psu's you have are not SLI verified - they are a unknown make which causes loads of problems.

Go for a 750w Corsair or a Seasonic variety. Then all your crashing will go

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

The amps available on the 12V rail are more important than the total watts.

But it's got two +12V rails. I've read that this is less than ideal for SLI/Crossfire systems, though I don't know why. Is it possible that this is the problem? I was considering ordering a new PSU from Newegg, maybe a Corsair or some other quality brand with a single 12V rail. Could this help?
The quality is far more important than the number of rails.

Andhrimnir

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Okay. Would you still recommend a Corsair? If so, which one? The one I pointed out is probably powerful enough for my system. I'm running an AMD Phenom 9850 at 2.5 GHz, 4 GB of DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 2GB), two EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ cards, and (soon) a 4 x 640GB RAID 5 array.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

As much of a High End Corsair 1000W plus you can afford...

Do not have a supply which is near its limits. Go for something more powerfull.. Your a compulsive upgrader by the looks of it and only something like this will fit your needs.

I promise you, you wont regret it..

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

HX750 or 850.