Problems OC'ing i5 760

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
So the i5 760, its proven to easily overclock to 4GHz with just air cooling.

I only know the basics of OC'ing. So I tried to overclock this sucker by bumping the multiplier from 20 to 21 then boosting my FSB up 10 from 133. I couldnt even get past 153, because when I ram CPUStap Test, the test would stop and indicate a system malfunction.

Now I'v read about the numbers other people have used to OC their i5 760, and I tried one configuration but my system just BSOD. Though I do have one question, I see people LOWERING their multiplier when OC'ing. I dont understand what the reasoning for this is, so it would be nice if someone could explain that to me.

Also, main question, what is the trick to overclocking the i5 760?

mobo- P55A-UD3

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
so I lowered my multiplier to 20, instead of default 21 with a FSB of 180 from 133 to get 3.6GHz

Voltage was still on "auto" so i didnt touch that.

So I booted up CPUZ and SpeedFan, and to my surprise the auto voltage kicked the core cpu up to 1.36V, whiched seemed a bit high.

Then I ran CPUStab test, and the second I started the test my temperatures INSTANTLY jumped to 50C. I thought this was quite strange, considering they idled at about 25C. Then CPUStab test stopped due to a "system malfunction" after about 15 seconds.

So in conclusion to that little test, I havent a clue what is really going on.

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Im thinking it might actually just be CPUStab Test not working with my machine right. I ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes (yes I know you're suppose to do it for like 24 hours to make sure EVERYTHING is error free) and I hit 63C at highest on 3.8 GHz, and from what Iv read thats pretty normal.

Im going to run Prime95 overnight and while Im at school tomorrow at 3.8GHz, and if that gets no errors and dosent hit anything higher than the 60s, I think I should be fine.

Ill let you know my results when I get them.