Sign in with
Your question

Chassis fans turning off after boot

Last response: in Overclocking
November 27, 2010 6:09:51 PM

Hello,
I recently used Speedfan to reduce fan noise while sleeping and everything was working fine until today I noticed my chassis fans are no longer on! When I restart the computer, they start spinning at 100% for about 5-10 seconds and then turn off all together, leaving only my CPU and power fan on. I uninstalled Speedfan, messed with the BIOS settings turning T-probe and Q-fan on and off, but nothing works (I have an Asus p7p55d pro). Any ideas?
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2010 6:21:04 PM

get a good fan controller
m
l
November 27, 2010 6:53:42 PM

ortoklaz said:
get a good fan controller

I shouldn't have to buy a 3rd party controller to make my chassis fans work. Speedfan or something else is cutting the power to the fans and I don't know how to change that. I know this because they spin fine at 100% when I first start the computer up, but after 5-10 seconds, whatever speed profile or something kicks in, and the fans turn off. Any other suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 27, 2010 7:08:55 PM

no you don't have to.. but if you want to make it easier on yourself,have better cable management,better control of the fans,etc it's not a bad idea after all and what you going to do is solely up to you
m
l
November 27, 2010 9:28:27 PM

Nevermind, the problem seems to have magically fixed itself.... not sure what was going on.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 1:29:54 AM

I'd like to follow up on this if you don't mind . . .

Are your case fans powered by the mobo?

If no, we should track down why they turned off. If yes, we should track down wtf stopped then started them lol.
m
l
November 28, 2010 2:14:12 AM

Twoboxer said:
I'd like to follow up on this if you don't mind . . .

Are your case fans powered by the mobo?

If no, we should track down why they turned off. If yes, we should track down wtf stopped then started them lol.

Only one of the case fans is connected to a molex, the rest are connected to the motherboard. I didn't happen to check if that one was running or not, sorry. I still have no idea what the problem was, I just left my computer off for a few hours and when I turned it back on, the case fans kept running (they did go from 100% to about 30-40% after 5-10 seconds, the same time they were turning off, so some speed profile was kicking in). I went into the BIOS after this to check and Q-fan was enabled and the chassis fans were displaying RPM speeds when before they just said N/A. I disabled Q-fan for the chassis, booted up, reinstalled Speedfan to adjust manually, and everything is working fine again.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 2:34:59 AM

That does it. Thanks. Glad you're running.
m
l
!