Win xp no mixer device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker3006

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
i have an emachine w3650 that came with windows xp home and i recently installed win xp pro,the problem is after win xp pro installation i no longer had a speaker icon and now there is "no mixer device". how do i add a mixer device or what do i have to do?
any help would be greatly appreciated. i suspect it is a driver problem but not sure.

Solution
You must have the SMBus controller to have sound.

This driver is mixed in with your chipset drivers and usually have their own folder. This driver is rarely installed for you when installing chipset drivers. Locate the SMBus folder in your chipset folder(s) so you'll see exactly where it is. use the "Update Driver" method in device manager to install them.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
In control panel under Sound and audio can you click advance? Or is it grey?

Ok let's see:

1. Do you have sound card drivers installed. If so, try an update.

2. Go to control panel >Administrative Tools >Services . Find Windows Audio ,start the service and leave it automatic. You can also see in Start>Run and msconfig if under services you have windows Audio checked.

If I remember something else I'll let you know, I had a similar problem. :hello:

tinker3006

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
1.The drivers appear to be installed however I have tried to update them to fix the problem and I get the message "Cannot continue the hardware update wizard,the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you have installed."
2. I checked and I do have Windows Audio and its set to automatic,there's a check mark in the box and it is enabled. However down the list there is an item labeled Volume Shadow Copy-that says it is stopped,I don't know what it is but it seems like it might be sound related and I can't seem to start or enable it. I can't seem to start or enable system restore either.

tinker3006

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I forgot to tell you that in Sound and Audio that it says No Audio Device and that Advanced is Greyed out,and under the Voice tab both the recording and playback device are grey too.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
It does not seem that it detects your sound card or the drivers aren't installed.

Uninstall the sound card drivers you have from Device manager, then download and reinstall the drivers from your manufacturer site (for your model you have realtek) from here:
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1461

If that didn't work and, if the mixing device error happened recently, you can try to use System restore to an earlier point.
Look in Right click My computer> System restore and see if the disable system restore isn't checked.If it is uncheck it.

Volume shadow copy is related to backup in Windows, ironically, including with System restore service (for which the Volume shadow should be enabled, started and checked in computer management>services and msconfig also along with System restore service), and has nothing to do with the actual sound settings.

If System restore still doesn't load, then you could try running it from Safe Mode.

:hello:

tinker3006

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
The problem started when Win XP PRO was recently installed,hence there is no system restore point that works. I've uninstalled and reinstalled every driver I can(more than once) and a few days ago I had a friend and his friend do the remote assistance thing for over 3 hours with no results.It has them as stumped as I am. So I'm planning on going back to the original OS (Win XP Home) and see if that does the trick. Thanks for your time and effort though.

Woa... Wait... :na:

When you go to Device Manager, do you have any hardware with a yellow exclamation mark in front of it?

Did you install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio? That computer has High Definition sound and may need it to work properly. You may also have an SMBus that needs a driver.

tinker3006

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
PCI Device and SM Bus Controller both have a yellow question mark. I didn't know about the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio,but since your reply i did install it also.However i still have both the yellow question marks....no sound,nothing has really changed. Other than my frustration level,lol.

You must have the SMBus controller to have sound.

This driver is mixed in with your chipset drivers and usually have their own folder. This driver is rarely installed for you when installing chipset drivers. Locate the SMBus folder in your chipset folder(s) so you'll see exactly where it is. use the "Update Driver" method in device manager to install them.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.