Boston Acoustics BA735 not working under GA-EX58-UD3R/Win7

angrydot

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
This is my 1st build. Everything worked except my old speakers, which are Boston Acoustics BA735 (and my old wireless card, but that's another story).

I am using the Realtek HD Audio Manager. It shows my speakers plugged into the Front Speaker Out (Speakers) analog port on the back panel (the green port). All plugs are seated correctly and firmly.

Realtek HD Audio driver 6.0.1.5672 dated 7/24/2008

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Windows 7 RC

I tried every audio out port front and back.The front audio port works w/ headphones. No sound - no error messages from speakers.

The speakers did not work after the PC 1st booted and still did not work after installing the Gigabyte drivers that came with the MB.

Please help...

Solution
I looked up your motherboard try the Coaxial S/PDIF Out Connector (orange). You will need an RCA to RCA cable (not the RCA to mini-mono jack your speakers came with).

bilbat

Splendid
May be a problem with HDA vs. AC97 front panel detect selection - if you have an AC97: "The front panel audio header supports HD audio by default. If your chassis provides an AC'97 front panel audio module, refer to the instructions on how to activate AC'97 functionality via the audio software in Chapter 5, Configuring 2/4/5.1/7.1-Channel Audio." I know this can cause trouble, as I cut off the 'extra' (I thought) AC97 connector in my case, and after much struggling, discovered that one of the 'detect' grounds was made 'through' a pin connection on the AC97 header that then made the HDA malfunction...

angrydot

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
So my options are to unplug the front panel HD audio connector from my MB and plug in the AC'97 connector then plug my speakers into the front panel?

mtsavage

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I looked up your motherboard try the Coaxial S/PDIF Out Connector (orange). You will need an RCA to RCA cable (not the RCA to mini-mono jack your speakers came with).

Solution

angrydot

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

That worked! I scavenged an RCA connector from my old DVD player and set the Digital Output as the default device in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

roloenweston

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
OK, after trying at least a half dozen of the advices found on the internet regarding using "conection issues" with the BA735, none of them which worked for me, I finally found the best "HI-FI" solution being, first, changing the ANALOG generic sound card in my NEW PC to a more powerfull Creative Solutions card (Blaster XI Titanium...US99.00) which offers the kind of sound frequency range response you want to hear out of your BA735's anyway. Besides having several Analog output channles, the X-Fi has an Optical (Toslink) output which you can use to drive your Digital Speakers to their max clean performance.
You will therefore need an Optical (Toslink) to Digital (coax) converter between the card and the speakers along with the corresponding Optical cable. I picked up both these (converter and Toslink cable)at monoprice.com (Converter PN 2948; Optical Cable PN 2763...US10.00). Other than the above, you'll need a simple RCA cable between the converter and the speaker's woofer digital input which can be pieked up at Radio Shack. The driver for the card comes with the product, you don't need any special setup once you install the card software, it does it automatically. The converter does not need any drivers whatsoever, it is simply used to allow the compatability between the components.
This may sound complicated, but it isn't, you'll thank me once you start enjoying the sound coming out of these absolutely great pair of "old"speakers. It's unfortunate PC manufacturers don;t equip their new PS's with these 200.00 sound beauties. Good luck!

Kryton02

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Just built a new PC with onboard audio (ASUS P8P67) and tried using BA735 without any luck. Finally, after a week of frustration and loading and unloading Realtek drivers, I came upon this thread. Ultimately, I disabled onboard audio in BIOS and installed my old SB Audiology Card. Downloaded Windows 7 drivers from Creative. Made sure I checked the Digitial Output Only box on custom tab of speaker properties and they work perfectly.