Solved

CPU Temperature & AMD Phenom II 1055t Overclocking

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 28, 2010 9:33:21 AM

I have finally got a stable system with AMD 1055t Six Core CPU, Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 MB, and Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB (4x2GB) KVR1333D3K2 1333 MhZ DDR3 memory, and stock heat sink in Antec 900 cases, with these changes.

FSB to 230 MHz, x14 multiplyer - 3.22 GHZ CPU
NB & HT at 2070 MHz.
Relaxed Memory Timing for stability based on SPD rather than default (from 7,7,7,20 to 9,9,9,24)
Left all MB CPU voltages to Normal Bios Values except decreased Vcore from 1.4 to 1.3 V.

The system boots fine in Windows 7. I run Prime95 and Linx tests simultaneously with no errors for about 30 minutes. Both Easytune6 (Gigabyte program) and HWMonitor show CPU core temperature at 56 degree Celcius, with max at 58.

If I change FSB to 250 to get overclocking to 3.5 MHz, I get stable system by increasing Vcore to 1.35 volts, but then the CPU temperature during Prim95 and Linx tests increases to 59 deg C with max to 61 or 62 deg C. The tests run for 30 minutes with no errors.

So my questions are:
1) should I stick to 3.2 GHz for keeping CPU temp around 56 deg C during Primoo95 and Linx simultaneus stress testsing?
2) Is 3.5 GhZ system not safe because of 59 deg C temp during stress tests with max temp heating 61 or 62 deg C for CPU?
3) Besides buying an after market cooler, are there other ways to hit 3.5 MHz and keep CPU near max 55 deg C?
4) What would be a good after market CPU cooler in case there are no other options?

Thanks for any help with my first overclocking.

-jhaveri

More about : cpu temperature amd phenom 1055t overclocking

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 2:25:39 PM

1) No, push it and prime it at its maximum possible stable clock, if you see the temps are at 65+ then cut down a notch.
2) 61 and 62 are fine.
3) Tweaking with the Vcore and maybe lowering it a tad
4) There are lots of good coolers. For Price/Perfomance I would go with the Arctic Cooler pro 7 rev2. Its cheap and will keep it at least 5 degrees lower on load.
I have a Zalman 9700, ive hit a 50% overclock on a quad with it never going above 52 degrees on 100% load. Its a brilliant cooler.

Also, take heed to this. You need to run Prime95 for at least 5 hours - tests stability and temps alot more sucessfully.
m
l
November 28, 2010 6:33:43 PM

deadjon said:
1) No, push it and prime it at its maximum possible stable clock, if you see the temps are at 65+ then cut down a notch.
2) 61 and 62 are fine.
3) Tweaking with the Vcore and maybe lowering it a tad
4) There are lots of good coolers. For Price/Perfomance I would go with the Arctic Cooler pro 7 rev2. Its cheap and will keep it at least 5 degrees lower on load.
I have a Zalman 9700, ive hit a 50% overclock on a quad with it never going above 52 degrees on 100% load. Its a brilliant cooler.

Also, take heed to this. You need to run Prime95 for at least 5 hours - tests stability and temps alot more sucessfully.

deadjon:

That makes me feel much better, that I can at least do 3.5 GHz and not worry about 61-62 C temp.

On Overclocking.net in one of the AMD Overclocking guide, I saw something like "Never exceed 55 C". You think that statement is for 4 cores 900 series CPU and not 6 cores 1000 series?

I am going to take your suggestion and try vcore to bring the CPU temp down for 3.5 GHz.

One more question. Is relaxing memory timings from (7,7,7,20) to (9,9,9,24) reduces memory performance significantly? In other words, am I better off to leave memory setting as they are, and go back to default 2.8 GHZ CPU just to improve memory performance.

Thanks for all the help.

-jhaveri
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 6:44:08 PM

It will limit the bandwidth slightly. Real world perfomance wont be noticable unless your running benchmarks, also, the gain in perfomance over 6 cores worth of 700mhz OC is going to be MUCH higher than the memory performance gain of tightening the timings.

55 degrees is rubbish, Prime95 pushes it past normal limits anyway, Hitting 70 degrees on prime after 5 hours means that on a normal gaming session youll be perfectly fine.

EDIT+++++++

For around £20 - 30 you can buy an aftermarket cooler, even if not needed, just for your own Peace of mind. It may allow you to push it to 3.8ghz, ive read that target is very acheivable.
November 28, 2010 7:49:17 PM

deadjon said:
It will limit the bandwidth slightly. Real world perfomance wont be noticable unless your running benchmarks, also, the gain in perfomance over 6 cores worth of 700mhz OC is going to be MUCH higher than the memory performance gain of tightening the timings.

55 degrees is rubbish, Prime95 pushes it past normal limits anyway, Hitting 70 degrees on prime after 5 hours means that on a normal gaming session youll be perfectly fine.

EDIT+++++++

For around £20 - 30 you can buy an aftermarket cooler, even if not needed, just for your own Peace of mind. It may allow you to push it to 3.8ghz, ive read that target is very acheivable.

deadjon:

Thanks very much. I am not going to worry about 62 C at 3.5 GHz. By the way that was with prime95 and linx run simultaneusly, so that was really pushing it. In another two weeks, I am on vacation, so I will be installing an aftermarket cooler and see if I can push it to 3.8 or even 4 GHz. I do appreciate your help. Regards,

-jhaveri
m
l
November 28, 2010 7:49:43 PM

Best answer selected by jhaveri.
m
l
!