Sign in with
Your question

Help Me Choose

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2009 9:18:46 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new here and looking for some advice.

I’m looking to buy a graphics card very soon. I require some help finding the right card that will play my games at max settings at a resolution of 1680x1050. I had a look through the benchmark charts but the most recent is Q3/2008, which would leave out the most recent cards. I’m not at all up to date with the latest cards so I’d appreciate some guidance, just in case there any new cards coming out in the next couple of months that may affect prices and my choice. I don't have a preference between ATI or NVIDIA, I'm just looking to buy the best card that my system can handle at a budget of about £300.

I would like to play all types of games at Max settings, my current rig is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB (overclocked to 3.20GHz)

Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

GeIL 4GB (4x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM

Samsung SH-S203B 20X DVD±RW/RAM / DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive - OEM

Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Socket 775 CPU Cooler

Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x32Bit OEM

LG L226WTQ 22" Monitor

I'm looking for the best bang for buck

Thanks.

More about : choose

April 18, 2009 9:36:06 AM

Im guessing you like newegg..

Start by going to newegg and looking around your price range...see a nice price tag go and hit up google

"4870 benchmarks"

Guess what you will get...benchmarks at 1680x1050 ;) 

I went with a GTX 260 for my 1680x1050 monitor as the 275 hadn't been released...i'd still get the gtx 260 now....

If i where you i believe its a close toss up between the following

4890/275

4870/260

Now keep in mind the 260 can be overclocked close to the 275 but the 275 can still achieve higher clock speeds but the price difference can come into play on how little performance difference you will see between the cards.....im not quite sure on the 4890 vs the 4870 so your best off on your own research...

I find it alot more informative to research research research when buying parts...if im not satisfied with what i found or i come up with some conflicting results i ask here...best of luck on your decision

And im wondering if you would be interested in selling me that 8800 gts as im in need of a cheap card to throw onto a secondary rig...pm meh if youd like ;) 
April 18, 2009 5:33:56 PM

Check out this review...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/04/03/ra...

...tons of benchmarks and many different settings.

My two cents...

-Pay particular attention to the games you like and the resolution you plan to play at (1680 x 1050).
-Buy a card that gets frames that are more than satisfying, as the future will only yield more taxing games.
-If you are unsatisfied with a card's cooling and noise, remember that there are non-reference cards out there...

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Bottom line...

-I don't know your budget, but 40% of me says go with a HD 4890, while the other 60% says get the GTX 275.

Edit: I don't know a lot about power supplies...after you discover which graphics care you are most interested in, ask about the compatiability between that and your power supply.
Related resources
April 18, 2009 10:11:17 PM

Thanks for the replies people. Newegg appears to be an American site and I'm in the UK so that rules that site out. Games I like are Company of Heroes, COD4, GTA etc, so I can see that this is going to take some looking into. From what I've read it looks like the GTX275 and HD4890 are the cards to be looking at. What about the GTX285 that I came across on bit-tech, are these worth the extra cash in terms of performance (overclocked)?

April 19, 2009 12:36:02 AM

A solution....i :love:  google.....http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=5765

I would go for the 275 if you have the cash to spend...albeit the 260 is pretty much just a lower clocked 275 with some loss on sp i believe....i payed around 160$ for my gtx 260 new and im running a 1680x1050 LG 22" just fine...maybe i would be better off in the long run with a 275 due to it being able to overclock around 50mhz farther then a 260...but the price is a pretty big difference in the end...

So its a hard tossup between a 275 or a 4890...if you can go for those....just study ATLEAST! 6 or more websites with reviews showing how both the cards stackup in your games...do as much research as possible...

I believe some people where recommending the 285 for your resolution...but i don't think its really worth it...if someone from that thread pops in with why be my guest...sorry iv got a headache...been firing my glocks all day :D 

At this point just be glad your not running exclusively on 1980x1080 etc...or higher...saves us a bit on the gpu that is for sure
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 8:47:41 AM

I love COD 4, Company of Heroes w/both expansion packs and I play at 1680 X 1050 on a 22" monitor using an EVGA 8800 GTS 512 and an e8400 stable @ 3.6 GHz. Looking at you rig, your best value is with the GTX 260. The price difference between that card and the 275's and 285's are from $100 to $200 and probably more since you are in Europe with higher VATs and import taxes for luxury computer hardware items.

My main point is with your processor you won't be able to squeeze out much more than what the GTX 260 can process. Unless you go core i7 for the bandwidth, your system won't gain the full potential of the 275.

I stay away from the 4870, 4890 due to the heat, driver, render issues.
April 19, 2009 9:58:46 AM

rewindlabs said:
sorry iv got a headache...been firing my glocks all day :D 

Haha.......Lucky you

hundredislandsboy said:
I love COD 4, Company of Heroes w/both expansion packs and I play at 1680 X 1050 on a 22" monitor using an EVGA 8800 GTS 512 and an e8400 stable @ 3.6 GHz. Looking at you rig, your best value is with the GTX 260. The price difference between that card and the 275's and 285's are from $100 to $200 and probably more since you are in Europe with higher VATs and import taxes for luxury computer hardware items.

My main point is with your processor you won't be able to squeeze out much more than what the GTX 260 can process. Unless you go core i7 for the bandwidth, your system won't gain the full potential of the 275.

I stay away from the 4870, 4890 due to the heat, driver, render issues.

Yep prices here are a rip off, I wish I had a family member lived in the states and then they could send me the items as gifts. Thats got me thinking about the CPU, would upgrading to an E8400 overclocked to 4Ghz get the most out of a GTX275? (and of course, would it be worth it?)
April 19, 2009 10:08:53 AM

Species 1 said:
Haha.......Lucky you

That was compensated by hitting a wave on my jetski and freezing my nuts off....there like ice cubes....

The E8400 would be an upgrade but if i where you i would go for a quad core...you do know that quad cores are going to start taking over soon enough and games will really start to utilize em and when this happnes dual cores will start to slack off

...Go for the top phenom or atleast the 920 considering there right there with the price of the 8400...now i haven't checked what motherboard you are interested exactly but it shouldn't be to expensive....

Edit:o k i just checked and you are instead adding onto your system....if i where you i would save up enough to go to a phenom and not even give it a second thought on going with another dual core...when you upgrade the processor go for a quad and sell off your cpu+mobo...with the cpu you currently have you can overclock it and it will do just fine...
April 19, 2009 10:37:33 AM

In my opinion you can't beat a $160 GTX260 for bang for your buck especially at you res
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 11:09:48 AM

your build list looks like its 2 years old :o 

Check out the Phenom II's aswell while your at it - see what you can find, and dont go anything less then a Quad core cpu ;) 

Vista X64 - dont bother with the 32bit/x86 version

Get a P45 based motherboard - P35 is old

Avoid 4x1gb and go with 2x2gb

8800GTS 320mb? ANCIENT! 4850 or better!
April 19, 2009 4:47:36 PM

rewindlabs said:
The E8400 would be an upgrade but if i where you i would go for a quad core...you do know that quad cores are going to start taking over soon enough and games will really start to utilize em and when this happnes dual cores will start to slack off

...Go for the top phenom or atleast the 920 considering there right there with the price of the 8400...now i haven't checked what motherboard you are interested exactly but it shouldn't be to expensive....

Edit:o k i just checked and you are instead adding onto your system....if i where you i would save up enough to go to a phenom and not even give it a second thought on going with another dual core...when you upgrade the processor go for a quad and sell off your cpu+mobo...with the cpu you currently have you can overclock it and it will do just fine...

No, I had no idea that quad cores where about to take over dual cores. I'm not up to speed with the current state of PC components and the last I knew dual core was the way to go for gaming. Really all I wanted was to upgrade my GPU to the best my system could handle, and I don't really want to upgrade my system for another 18-24 months. I've looked on ebay to see what I could possibly sell my components for and in the UK it's slow at the moment. Initially I hadn't thought about upgrading the CPU but it interested me with the idea of a better CPU and a new mid range GPU. To go into a new mobo things would start to get too expensive.........I have a little one on the way so funds are going in a different direction at the moment. I just wanted to treat myself to a new GPU for the best results I can get for my current system, before a mini me arrives. Then in 18 months or so I will probably upgrade my whole system.

apache_lives said:
your build list looks like its 2 years old :o 

Check out the Phenom II's aswell while your at it - see what you can find, and dont go anything less then a Quad core cpu ;) 

Vista X64 - dont bother with the 32bit/x86 version

Get a P45 based motherboard - P35 is old

Avoid 4x1gb and go with 2x2gb

8800GTS 320mb? ANCIENT! 4850 or better!

That's because I built it Two years ago.........Haha........This is just trying to upgrade the GPU and CPU has kinda fallen into it. How come you should avoid 1Gb ram nowadays? are the 2Gb sticks more efficient?

April 19, 2009 5:59:10 PM

You may be able to get by with that system but i believe where games are going it will start to show its age soon enough that could be quite a few months down the road....go ahead and pick up a decent card and if it really comes down to your cpu just holding you way down you could always find a way to upgrade by then....should be cheaper...

So stay with your current cpu and when you do believe you have the cash and need the performance you should go to a phenom all together....
!