Will a DDR3 work as it should work on a DDR2 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello everybody:

I have a DDR2 motherboard, and I want to buy a new graphic card.
My first question is if a DDR3 graphic card will work with all of his features(speed, frequency and so on) on a DDR2 motherboard.
My second question is: is the DDR3 that good that I should invest 50-70 dollars more?

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
ok well ram and graphics cards have different interfaces,

the current graphics card interface is pci-e 16x so you should be able to fit any pci-e graphics card into your machine given sufficient power supply, so whether the card itself has ddr5 chips on it or whatever doesnt matter.

ddr2 is a ram standard, and ddr3 is the latest version, you can not put ddr3 into a ddr2 slot, it just wont fit.

if you arent sure whether your new upgrade will work, please give us more details on your motherboard make and model, your power supply make and model and the upgrade you want to make, and someone here will let you know if its compatible.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Just to clear up the difference in ddr youv got so muddled in your head

DDR2 is your supported ram...system ram...GPU ram can run at any speed...and the new card will work fine even if its running ddr5...

Now you need to find out if your mobo supports this or that and if your psu has enough kick....

Nero11

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Hi, I am also in this situation, and i cant figure if my MOBO can take GDDR3. My PS can quite fine, but my MOBO doesnt indicate whether it can or not. I have an XFX 750i SLI Socket 775 socket. It has x2 PCLe x16 slots2.0 slots. Thanks for your help.

This thread explains pretty plainly: Graphics memory speed is not bounded in any way by your motherboard. If you had the right interface, you could put a GDDR5 equipped GPU on a motherboard that only supports PC100 RAM.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
As it was already stated graphics cards don't matter. Any motherboard can support any graphics card ram (GDDR) doesn't matter what the motherboard is.

rigoelguey

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

what if you have a ddr3 motherboard and processor can you have a ddr2 video card?

Please read the thread before asking.

frobinrobin

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
gosh.. ppl do need help..

Please do not mix up the memory used on your graphics card with that which is commonly referred to as 'system memory'.. luckily consumer graphics cards don't let you change the memory!

So to summarise.. graphics card memory is soldered onto the graphics card and should not be changed.. it also has nothing to do with compatibility with any motherboard.

The number one compatibility concern with motherboards is the INTERFACE, it could be anything from PCI, PCI Express or AGP... (I'm sure I'm missing one)... match your motherboards interface to your graphics card and voila.. it should work! (provided that you have a powerful enough power supply to power the graphics card and that it has the right power connections).

I think that clears it up.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
First of all, I don't understand how come after almost a year since I opened it there are still comments and replies about something that is already understood.

frobinrobin I think that the ones who read this thread with enough interest understood already the difference between the "System Memory" and the "Graphic Card's Memory".

About your expression saying that "luckily consumer graphics cards don't let you change the memory!", I think that it's wrong that they don't let you change, because if you can change the "Sysetm Memory" of your motherboard, and by that improving your system, you should be able to do it too to your graphic card, and theoreticaly improving it to. Don't forget the graphic card, is one of the most expenssive parts of the system, and to some it is THE most expenssive one.

I think this thread exhausted itself already, and anyone who has a question similar to this one, will find the answer in this thread.

Good god! Why is it so confusing?
Graphic memory doesn't have anything to do with mobo's memory.
Just plug anykind of graphic cards to your mobo as long as it has the same format to your mobo for example: AGP VGA to AGP mobo, PCI-e to PCI-e Mobo, etc.
That is it!

G

Wow, I can't believe you people, your graphics card memory has nothing to do with your motherboard, you put ram in your motherboard such as ddr ddr2 ddr3, your graphics card plugs into your pci express slot, unless you have an old agp then it plugs in there but anyway, your card will have the memory built onto it, and whatever it is, it will work. ......wow

Status
Not open for further replies.