Devinci

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Is it possible for me to upgrade the psu in my current computer with an aftermarket product?

I'm currently using a Dell XPS420 with L375P-00 power supply, aka. the Dell 375 watt power supply.

I want to upgrade my power supply to one with at least 500+ watts in order to have the required power to support more powerful graphics cards, since I use the computer for avid gaming.

I've been looking at name brand PSUs with alot of power like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=corsair%20750

Unfortunately, I'm not able to figure out what psus would be compatible with my setup and fit correctly in the case. I have heard something about certain dell model's being proprietary so that you can only use their psus?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
i have looked on the web and it says that a standard powersupply will fit in your case-

check the measurements though as dells are fussy on size

Dell psu's are proprietary (ie, needlessly different than standard), as are many other of their parts including anything that connects to the case front panel.

Here is one solution:

http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_500_Dell/index.html

Another rather messy solution that might work is to use a second power supply. You'd have to mount it perhaps on top of the case, establish a common ground, and extend the wires for (eg) auxilliary vid card power into the case.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

some are, some are not

the xps does user a normal atx 24pin / 4 cpu pin psu

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Its a way of selling more.

Also some psus have the power connectors up tight so they wont fit comfortably but wiring internally are the same - depends if you can get a cable round the fancy cable management systems.

Devinci

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
The current psu has the atx 24-pin power connector connected to the motherboard, and the corsair psu's specs seem to show that it has everything I need in terms of connectors, however I'm not sure how proprietary the case itself is, and if it would fit in the case properly, or at least manage to with some tweaking or something to hold it in place.

4745454b

Titan
Dell got away from using "special" PSUs when the P4 came out. Their current lineup all use standard ATX PSUs, at least electrically. I'm not sure if they still use some none standard form factors.

The Dell 375W is a rather powerful PSU. It has 30A on the two 12V rails. What are you trying to run that takes more power? You probably can't run the GTX cards, but the GTS and lower should all work. (You'd be cutting it close with the GTS250/9800GTX+)

4745454b

Titan
The 4770 of course will run in there with ease. I can't remember at the moment if the 4850/4870 need more then 30A. Even if they need 30A, you have exactly 30A available, so you should upgrade. Find a normal ATX PSU and make sure it fits, and watch out for those longer ATX PSUs. I think the longer ones are primarily 1kW and above, so you probably won't see any in the 500-650W range.

You need a new case... or a lot of patience and a good Dremel if you want to put generic hardware in your... SPECIALLY DESIGNED... computer. The dimensions are all custom made for Dell hardware.

I know it personally, I have dealt with it for a customer >:p

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
^+1... Oh dear, another user finding out that Dell didn't want you to do anything to your PC when its time to upgrade, they want you to buy another one!
Of the few Dells i've seen inside all are a pain in the a$$. They mount their stupid proprietory mobos with non-standard panel connectors on the other side of the case - I was helping a mate fit a new GFX card to his Dimension and we had to take the 2 slot backplate off the card and saw it in half so we could get it in!! Their PSUs have odd length cables to fit their wonderful custom cases, you'd probably be ok putting a std PSU in, but you'll probably have to drill new holes to screw it in and the PCIE power for example probably wouldn't be long enough to go round the way Dell wanted it too!
It can be done, although as a hater of Dells I'd be tempted to get a new case and mobo and throw the Dell stuff away!
*Don't buy Dell!*

You're right on some of it, but there's no need to drill any holes.

Sounds more like he fit a dual slot card into a mBTX system.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I get the same, i went to a customer today who thought downloading the free edition of AVG is better than the purchased version from Kaspersky.

4745454b

Titan
This is why I always ask people to qualify better. Free AVG is better then paid Kaspersky as it costs less. See, its better. If you mean better as in virus detection and removal, that belongs to Kaspersky. You can't just say better.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I know,

He was a cocky 20 something. thought he was flash buying his boss a mcdonalds

I just looked at him for a second with no expression and ignored him

Sorted the server issue and got out as quick as i did.

The best bit is 2 of the problems were so called recalls.

the first - someone removed the pc from a setup which used a kvm and wondered why it didnt work
second - the twit installed nero twice and wondered why his dvd drive we missing - he screwed his dvd upper and lower filters (xp)

then the bright spark jumped up mmm machines got xphome on

i mean duh

Devinci

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Thanks again to everyone who provided me with information, tips, warnings, and advice in general with my issue. I wanted to dig this thread back up to let you know that I was successfully able to install the corsair tx750w power supply into my dell xps 420 without picking up a drill.

The only con I can think of is that I didn't purchase modular, and have 3-4 cables that I am not using at all cluttering up the case, but I wanted to save some cash.

After measuring my own psu and seeing the mechanical drawing of the 750
I though that it would fit, but might be slightly longer in the case (which is a nonissue).
The holes where the previous psu were screwed lined up properly, and everything worked out.

Thanks again for helping a noob out.

TRENDING THREADS