Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P

Last response: in Motherboards
September 12, 2009 3:40:06 AM

Hi all,

I am trying to set up my new rig and have a couple of questions...

1. I would like to update my BIOS from version F5 (shipped) to F6 (most recent on their site) but I don't have a floppy drive...is there a way to do this with a USB Flash drive?

When I was looking at the BIOS, it looks like it only recognizes 3 cores - and I think updating it will allow it so see my x4 Phenom II

2. I need to configure my OCZ RAM. I'm not trying to overclock it (I'm afraid of decreasing the life of my RAM), but I would like it running at optimal settings. I think I'm supposed to set the frequency to 1600mhz, voltage to 1.7volts, and timings to CL 7-7-7-24
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) according to OCZ's product spec page but I don't know where/how to access these settings..and verify that they are set correctly.

3. I installed my Phenom II x4 955 chip, and am wondering if there are settings in the BIOS I should have configured so that my CPU runs optimally. I saw settings for 'EC Firmware' and don't know if I should be messing with those. Also not trying to Overclock here, as I don't want to reduce the life of my CPU.

4. I would be open to overclocking my CPU, RAM, and ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card, but I'm afraid of significantly reducing their lifetime expectancy. Would this really impact my hardware running for 5+ years?

Thank you guys for all of the help, I've looked at several sites/manuals/google searches - and they're not getting me anywhere...any help would be very much appreciated!

More about : gigabyte ma790fxt ud5p

a c 177 V Motherboard
September 12, 2009 4:03:58 PM

Quote:
1. I would like to update my BIOS from version F5 (shipped) to F6 (most recent on their site) but I don't have a floppy drive...is there a way to do this with a USB Flash drive?

Excellent procedure here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas...

Quote:
2. I need to configure my OCZ RAM. I'm not trying to overclock it (I'm afraid of decreasing the life of my RAM), but I would like it running at optimal settings. I think I'm supposed to set the frequency to 1600mhz, voltage to 1.7volts, and timings to CL 7-7-7-24

There is a parameter table (called an SPD, or serial presence detect [don't ask me - the only one that ever made sense was PCMCIA: 'people can't memorize computer industry acronymns'!]) actually in your RAM - executing the BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults" function will cause the BIOS to read these tables, and set all the myriad 'auto' settings correctly (most of the time...)!

Quote:
3. I installed my Phenom II x4 955 chip, and am wondering if there are settings in the BIOS I should have configured so that my CPU runs optimally. I saw settings for 'EC Firmware' and don't know if I should be messing with those. Also not trying to Overclock here, as I don't want to reduce the life of my CPU.

Same as above - Load Optimized will give you a working, 'recommended' setup; if you want to take it faster, it will need manual tweaking - and we can help...

Quote:
4. I would be open to overclocking my CPU, RAM, and ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card, but I'm afraid of significantly reducing their lifetime expectancy. Would this really impact my hardware running for 5+ years?

I just wrote this up for someone else (toward the bottom):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263163-30-x48t-doesnt...
In addition, for your graphics card, the Catalyst Control Center, installed with the drivers, contains a page (overdrive) for OCing your video safely; just click on the lock icon to unlock the GPU/VRAM frequencies, and then click 'auto-tune'; it will go through a fairly long procedure of bumping the frequencies, and then 'exercising' the card(s) to find a happy medium between speed and available cooling...

m
l
September 13, 2009 2:19:18 PM

When i flashed my BIOS from that version to F6- lets just say i had to RMA the board because of it. Not much support was given by Gigabyte other than the approval for an RMA. Good luck.
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 13, 2009 2:21:57 PM

Just out of curiosity - was that another @BIOS failure?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2009 8:52:15 PM

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport...

This is the latest cpu support for our mobo the UD5P and I do not see any F6 bios tho there is an F5A for the latest quad AMD cpu,BTW my mobo came with the F1 bios and I flashed it from windoze to F4,still going strong,according to the manual the bios is supposed to be set back to default settings after a flash,can't remember if I did that or not....BTW doing a flash from windoze is no great deal as the flash program does its work from Dos like Norton Ghost and then kicks [reboots] the system back into windoze which cannot be running during either operation..:) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
September 13, 2009 10:12:11 PM

It's no great deal, until you brick your board, which you will do if you keep using @BIOS. It's like playing Russian Roulette; you can get away with it once, and only hear a 'click', you can get away with it twice, but if you keep on pulling that trigger, you will blow your brains out!
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas...
September 15, 2009 9:19:34 AM

I have this board and I had the same problem that I needed to flash the bios to see my 955 cpu. I got the F6 bios and flashed with Qflash in the mobo's bios and it worked fine. As Bill's link states don't use @bios, Qflash is far easier and safer.

I used a USB memory stick(fat32) instead of a floppy disc with no problems. However first I tried a small fat32 partion on my HDD and extracted the updated bios there. Apparently Qflash will read the HDD that way to but it didn't work for me. Unsure why but it didn't see the file. The USB mem stick was fine. When I went into QFlash it gave me some options to locate the bios file but at first read 0_0 files. Don't worry select the option that you think is you memory stick (actually called my memory stick a Floppy but it was the second in the list of file source locations) and then it will show 1_0 files and then just follow the instructions.

I hope this is of some use, just wanted to share this experience. It was the first time I have used Qflash, but it was easy. The only problem was ID'ing the right file source location when asked.
m
l
!