mattdp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
My current machine is a custom build running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.21GHz) processor in a decent motherboard. I've been offered the chance to pick up a machine from work for a teeny, tiny price - this is an HP machine running an Intel Core 2 6400 (2.13 GHz) in a motherboard of unknown provenance.

Is it likely to be worth my while "upgrading"? I've noticed of late that my AMD computer seems to be running slow, but it's possible this is just due to the accumulation of rubbish on the HDD and the registry.

If I run the same version of SiSoft Sandra on both, am I going to get usefully reliable benchmarks to compare - or are there any useful online benchmarking tools I can use?

mi1ez

Splendid
We would need to know more about both setups.
An HP business style machine may not have a PCIe slot.

What motherboard do you currently have? GPU? PSU?
What specific HP model is the work machine?

mattdp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
I don't remember the motherboard model. It's an Asus with a PCIe slot. I researched it pretty thoroughly at the time. The PSU cost a small fortune. The GPU is a 6600 GT.

The work model is a compaq cd7700 "ultra-slim". It's possible because of the case size that I won't even be able to fit the 6600GT inside, even if the board is PCIe compatible!

If I run the same benchmarking software - say Sandra - on both, am I going to get reliable results?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Sounds like one of the small form factor HP business systems. Probably low profile expansion cards only i would imagine.
If so then most likely everything on it will out perform your Athlon X2 except graphics since you have a dedicated card.
(upgraded from an x2 4200 4gb ram to a q6600 4gb ram, insane speed increase)

Just how teeny tiny a price are we talking though. because it might be worthwhile getting it just for the CPU /ram/hdd and putting it into a new case with motherboard.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You can't fit a full size PCIe video card, however you could massage a 1/2 height into it like:
Sapphire low profile HD4650.

Only thing is, it will cost money, which I know you're trying to save.

If you can give the price you'd be paying for the HP system, some folks might be able to get you more advice.

mattdp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
Thanks for the replies. We're probably talking about £50, which includes not only the machine but a 19" flatscreen to replace my 17" one.

My current rig has some stability issues. I've never entirely figured out what the problem is, although I suspect it's an intermittent fault in the HDD. It's also in a full tower case (which is far too big for the internals) and full of so many fans you can't hear yourself think when it's switched on. I was originally advised to get a big PSU and all the fans (which is why I've got such a big case) by hardware enthusiasts at the time, but I've always had some doubt over their value.

So I was ideally hoping that I'd be able to get the new machine, strip out the graphics, audio and HDD from the old one, and stick them in the new one, thereby keeping all my data intact but loosing the stability, size and noise problems. But of course case size is an issue. I'm not above cutting holes in the case if need be :)

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
A couple of things to be aware of.

You might have to rebuild your OS, because you are switching platform, your OS will most likely blue screen if you try to run it normally. You could try a safe mode, remove all drivers pertinent to your old system, then run normally and install the Intel drivers.

GPU and sound are integrated on the HP/Compaq system, so your stuck with those on the Intel side.

My inclination is to not do this. Use your money on a GPU upgrade for your AMD system or a (AM2+) motherboard upgrade. I'm not sure what motherboard you have currently. Then perhaps get a better AMD processor down the line. Either way, your OS should be rebuilt to clean it out.

Download and run CCleaner - and run chkdisk /r on your current rig to check for bad sectors.

I think at stock the e6400 would certainly be better but the X2 4200+ (don't know whether it's a Manchester or not) should be a few clicks away from something like 240 x 11 (or 2.6GHz) - probably give the e6400 a little run for its money there.

a PCIe slot is good - your GeForce 6600 GT is probably showing some age.

I think I would buy the system, keep the 19" flatscreen and sell your old monitor with the Compaq e6400 (But first make some XP recovery disks so the new owner won't be left hangin' when the hard drive goes bad on the Compaq!). You make may a few bucks for a new vid card (or in your 'case' maybe a new hard drive you can clone or some more quiet fans).

Simply transferring your current HD over to the Compaq is only asking for major problems - if you want to go with the Compaq back up your data from your current rig and transfer it.

Ack, socket 939. Anyway, that Core2 Duo would be faster, but not enough that I would recommend spending any significant amount of cash on it. It would be an increase of about 15-20% in general just on CPU performance. Of course if that HP is a slim model then you will limit your GPU options to half height versions. You can use the 2008 Q1 charts here to compare the AM2 version of the 4200 and the core2duo E6400