Sign in with
Your question

How can I make a harddisk partition bootable and run the Windows 7 setup from it

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2010 2:46:39 AM

Hello,
I accidentally lost some files of the recovery partition of my HP Pavilion dv5 and cant boot the recovery option anymore(used to boot by f11 while PC starts).How can I use an ISO image of Windows 7 to copy and boot from that partition?
Any suggestion?
Thanks.

~ak
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
October 22, 2010 3:21:02 AM

Hello,

It sounds as if you use the recovery partition from time to time, and are not too concerned about your primary disk data.

For important data, back up your primary HDD or better yet, make an image of that single partition with an image software, lilke Acronis True Image or Ghost..

Then use your CD disks (OS & Drivers) that came with the HP, and do a fresh install, which will put you back to day 1, including the recovery partition. That's usually a smaller reserved partition placed there by the manufacturer also to restore you back to day 1.

Then copy the image of the your primary C: partition back to your HDD and you should be back in business, including the recovery partition. Remember the recovery partition, when used, sets everything back to the day you purchased the computer, not with all the updates, hotfixes, and SPs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
October 22, 2010 5:50:16 AM

"How can I use an ISO image of Windows 7 to copy and boot from that partition?"
You can't.
If I understand you correctly,you want to use the W7 iso to boot the HP and use the HP recovery partition. NO CAN DO. If files are missing as you indicate, you won't be able to borrow them from the W7 iso.
You will need to contact HP and purchase a set of recovery disks for your model, so that you can restore it to factory settings.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2010 8:49:20 AM

Jonmor68 said:
"How can I use an ISO image of Windows 7 to copy and boot from that partition?"
You can't.
If I understand you correctly,you want to use the W7 iso to boot the HP and use the HP recovery partition. NO CAN DO. If files are missing as you indicate, you won't be able to borrow them from the W7 iso.
You will need to contact HP and purchase a set of recovery disks for your model, so that you can restore it to factory settings.

yup.. Jonmor68,
u got it.. partially... the Recovery Drive not responding and I don't care too much!! coz,
I don't want to use the 'Vista' thing any more.. And that was 32bit...(came with my HP)
As I have 4GB of RAM now, I have to have a 64bit system and I prefer it to be Win7 (already I have the drivers needed).
I don't need the recovery drive to work as it was before.

JUST WANNA KNOW IF THERE'S ANY WAY I CAN COPY WIN7 ISO TO THAT 10GB PARTITION AND MAKE IT BOOTABLE ANY HOW ....SO THAT I CAN USE IT TO SETUP WINDOWS ANYTIME FROM THE BOOT MENU????

THANKS...

~ak
m
l
October 22, 2010 9:17:22 AM

I understand you want to replace the standard recov instalation with a normal Win 7 64 bit instalation and be able to use it from the recovery option.

I think it should be possible in Theory but depending on how exactly the new UEFI bios runs the kit on the second partition and if it is configurable it might be withing your posibility of doing it or it might be firmware hardcoded in witch case only the guys at HP would be able to easily do it.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 22, 2010 10:39:16 AM

If you got the Windows 7 installer DVD then put it on the DVD drive then go to your BIOS, change the boot settings to boot to your DVD. Just make sure all the data you left on that drive has been back up coz you will miss them.
m
l
October 22, 2010 12:55:48 PM

dEAne said:
If you got the Windows 7 installer DVD then put it on the DVD drive then go to your BIOS, change the boot settings to boot to your DVD. Just make sure all the data you left on that drive has been back up coz you will miss them.

dEAne...
everybody knows that... and I don't want to carry the DVD..u see!
m
l
October 22, 2010 5:43:24 PM

x3style said:
I understand you want to replace the standard recov instalation with a normal Win 7 64 bit instalation and be able to use it from the recovery option.

I think it should be possible in Theory but depending on how exactly the new UEFI bios runs the kit on the second partition and if it is configurable it might be withing your posibility of doing it or it might be firmware hardcoded in witch case only the guys at HP would be able to easily do it.

x3style, :hello: 
thanks buddy, for showing some hope of light with that words -"might be within your possibility" :) 
Actually I know very little about these things.. Hardware and Software...(I am a doctor!!!.. :p  so I dont need much!) ..but If u guys show me the way..I can surely make it ( that little I know..at least ;) 
m
l
October 22, 2010 6:04:28 PM

evongugg said:
Welcome to the forums!

Windows 7: Create a recovery partition

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4093-windows-7-create-a-recov...

You may be interested in this:

How To Integrate Drivers Into Windows 7 Installation Disc

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-integrate-drivers-int...

evongugg :hello: 
Thanks for the links... I'll try the second one soon :) 
I've already seen that 1st link.. here I have some query

1. When that recovery partition will be marked as active,I'll have 2 partitions active simultaneously! Would that cause any problem??!!(..seen some problem-posts related to 2 active partitions b4)
2.How will I boot that recovery drive? Will it have any hot-key?
Let me know please...If it's safe I'll try :) 
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:48:44 AM

Hi
evongugg,
I tried the second link... Installed vlite 1.2(bypassing the WAIK of 1.3GB...as suggested there)
but when I try to load the Win7 ISO and select OS 64bit, It shows an error message :??:  (..I cant post the screenshot bcoz no apps start when I run vlite..and It happens until I restart the PC) then If I select 'Continue' It keeps loading and I think actually it stops responding at a time.
:sweat: 
Another thing is, My HP driver files are all .exe setup files.. so can I integrate them within OS setup???If not how can I locate and copy the SYS or INF driver files.
Any suggestion?
plz help!! :( 

PS . I have downloaded 'Paragon BackUp and Recovery 10' and I'll use their 'BackUp Capsule' option to create a hidden recovery partition that is loaded by a hot-key during boot-up, just need help about integrating the driver files.
m
l
May 16, 2014 8:10:46 PM

dEAne said:

Sorry, this doesn't work! When attempting an installation via USB port (flash or DVD), at some point the installation crashes asking for another disc with an unnamed and apparently purposeless driver because it would seem that the installation Kernel forgets how to access USB.
m
l
May 16, 2014 8:23:24 PM

arupkhan said:
Hi
evongugg,
I tried the second link... Installed vlite 1.2(bypassing the WAIK of 1.3GB...as suggested there)
but when I try to load the Win7 ISO and select OS 64bit, It shows an error message :??:  (..I cant post the screenshot bcoz no apps start when I run vlite..and It happens until I restart the PC) then If I select 'Continue' It keeps loading and I think actually it stops responding at a time.
:sweat: 
Another thing is, My HP driver files are all .exe setup files.. so can I integrate them within OS setup???If not how can I locate and copy the SYS or INF driver files.
Any suggestion?
plz help!! :( 

PS . I have downloaded 'Paragon BackUp and Recovery 10' and I'll use their 'BackUp Capsule' option to create a hidden recovery partition that is loaded by a hot-key during boot-up, just need help about integrating the driver files.

Because one had to spend so much time reconfiguring XP to my "standards", I do a single installation, make sure all the hardware drivers are installed and working, add standard utilities (anti-virus/malware etc.), do all the theme and font setups, turn off all the "pretty junk", and divert user variables like Favorites and Documents to D_drive. I then use a partition manager (Spotmau is my recommendation) to shrink the partition to the smallest possible size. I can get down to about 4GB. I then make a backup image of this installation to another partition or a flash drive, and label it specifically to that machine.

Most people will obviously have a boot partition larger than 4GB, but because the image can be written to a 4GB partition or larger (probably 40GB min), then all you have to do is boot your Spotmau/Clonezilla CD and write the image back to the boot partition. All your drivers, general preferences, network settings etc. are in place and you only have to resume installing bigger software. Of course, you can always clone the partition complete with your usual software, but then you'll have a much bigger image that has to be kept safe -- back it up multiple times too!

This process means a single copying session and your machine is back up and running faster than it takes Windows to do its initial installation although you do have to sit and wait while it downloads all the updates since the day you made the image.

Right now I, too, would like to copy the Win7 ISO to a bootable partition because it won't install via USB...
m
l
!