cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
So recently I troubleshooted a "bad" hard drive which was causing my system to lag and stall.
After replacing the hard drive, windows 7 ran smoothly. I put the old hard drive as a secondary drive and transferrred all my movies/data without any issue. After formatting and partitioning the old hard drive, I wanted to see if it would still work with a new install of windows on it. It failed to boot and failed the install....

Now I've put that "old/bad" hard drive into another computer as a secondary hdd, and as the computer booted it, it said something about hdd error, press any key to run chkdsk or something like that...
Now within windows, I can see this old hard drive with all the partitions, but within one of the partitions it has these 2 folders:

$WINDOWS.~BT
$WINDOWS.~LS

within the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, there is a "Sources" folder, which has 2 subfolders "Panther" and "Rollback"

any idea what this is? and what's wrong with the hdd?
is it time to RMA?

My next step is to try and see if it'll install win7 now that chkdsk has maybe corrected some errors?

Thanks

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Cool
I never knew that actually...
By chance, I ran WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS bootable CD, and when I run it, I get this message in DOS: "Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT!!! Please make sure that the License Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE"

not sure what that means?

Put the filt DLGLICE.TXT in the same place as DLGDIAG.EXE on the CD

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
opening the iso file
it's all the same folder but there is no DLGDIAG.EXE file
I'm not sure if there is a mispelt file name but there is a file called "DLGDIAG5.EXE"
should I just change the file name?

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
ok, so I changed the filename by removing the 5
still got the same problem

do you think DLGLICE.TXT should be renamed to DLGLICE.TXT!!! (that's what it says in error message?)

Adding the !!! wont do anything it would just make it even more confused. Are you able to boot into windows? If so download Seatools for windows and scan the drive (it works on all smart enabled drives)

Axolotl

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Like many people, I was getting the following error when trying to run Data Lifeguard from a bootable CD made from the downloaded .ISO file:
Unable to locate License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT
Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM

After a lengthy exchange with Western Digital tech support, I was told that the bootable CD doesn't work with some SATA optical drives. I was stunned, but after testing it appears to be true. The CD didn't work in one of my PCs with a SATA optical drive (although bootable CDs of other programs all work fine), but on an older PC with an IDE drive Data Lifeguard worked fine. That's lame, since SATA drives have been the standard for quite a few years. I'm sure SATA hard drives outsell IDE hard drives by a large margin, so why provide a diagnostic utility that's so outdated it requires an IDE optical drive in order to run?

Anyway, I'm making this post becasue as I looked around the internet for solutions to this problem I found tons of people who didn't know what was causing it and were wasting a lot of time trying (pointelssly) to fix it. Hopefully this post will help the next person who comes along so they don't waste hours trying to solve an unsolvable problem.

kent1234

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
The version I get when I download (from WD) "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)" is 5.04f, and it's a piece of crap. As an .iso file, it was easy to burn to a CD, and it booted Ok, but immediately gave the error message:

Unable to locate License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT
Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM

Fyi, I do have an IDE hard drive, so the error message has nothing to do with whether you have a SATA drive or IDE.

However, the file downloaded from WD with the description "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS" is a later version 5.19 and is a .zip file. Un-zipped, it gives you a .exe file and not an .iso file.

(WD could do themselves and their customers a favor and replace the old 5.04f with a bootable 5.19 version. Better than frustrating the loads of customers who have gone down this dead-end road with the so called "DOS (CD)" version).

Next you have to create a bootable CD with that .exe file on it. I tried Creator 2012 and asked it to create a bootable CD, but then it asks for you to point to some image file that is bootable as a template.

I happen to have a Floppy drive. (Lucky me). I inserted a floppy and used Format and checked the option to "Create a MS-DOS Startup Disk".

Once formated, I then added the DLGDIAGv519.exe file to the floppy.

In Roxio's Creator 2012, I created a Bootable CD using that Floppy as the template. I didn't ask it to add any more files to it because the floppy already had the .exe file on it. In fact, when I first tried to use just a generic bootable floppy as the template and I selected the .exe file to be added, I *thought* this was how Creator 2012 works but it was no good -- the CD was bootable but the .exe file I had selected wasn't there. (Non-intuitive and bad on Roxio's part IMO).

With the bootable CD inserted, it booted up to a simple "A:>" prompt.

I typed "DIR" to get a file listing.

I typed "DLGDIA~.exe" (without quotes) to run it. ( Or maybe it was "DLGDIAG~.exe". I'm not sure and can't double check it right now).

The rest of the commands to run the tests are self-explanatory I suppose. It ran and my new WD drive passed, unlike a previous Samsung drive that I got last week and fully loaded it up only to discover it was a piece of crap with errors, so I returned it.

If you don't have a Floppy drive, maybe other CD-burning software can create bootable-CD's easier than my Roxio Creator 2012. (Or maybe I just don't know how to use Roxio very well). Search around and I'm sure there's something available for free to do it.

Good luck.