The correct/safe way to do things

Hapless newb

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I am quite familiar with computers and in the past have built computers before. However, I wasnt the safest when doing this. I used not standard size screwdrivers and I was bumbling about in the dark on most of it. I was hoping that someone might enlighten me on what tools and general procedures I should need before starting the building part of my build. Thank you very much.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I always reccomend a well lite working space. and if possible a flashlight or even better a strap on head light is amazing. Any screw driver that is about 6-8 inches in length (including handle) should do fine (phillips ofcourse).

Try not to wear wool sweaters or bulky clothing. Make sure you allot yourself enough time to finish your build in one sitting. Leaving and coming back generally doesnt work to well for me. I wind up pushing things around to make space before I finish my work.

Extra screws and stuff should get put back in a bag.

If possible, work on a table instead of the floor.

Dont worry too much about static electricity and such. Unless you have a stray cat walking around or you like rubbing balloons together in your spare time.

Once you get the components in and everything tests out ok. Go back and unplug it and tidy up the build. Tuck all your wires in neatly seal it up and proceed to install your os. WIRE MANAGEMENT is a must. IMO

Goodluck with your build, Cheers.

100 people would give 99 different answers and the last person would copy one of the others and say it was his idea .

I use a screw driver , but once when I left the screw driver at work I assembled a computer with a pair of long nosed pliers
I am lucky enough to have a wooden floor , and i wear cotton/denim when Im assembling to avoid static

Hapless newb

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
ok that sounds great, what about extra hardware? for example should there be enough cables brackets etc or should I buy something extra? Also are the headers mentioned on my Motherboards specs, both USB and FireWire, the things that I need to connect the front external USB and FireWire ports to? And where is that cable usually with the the MB or case? Not to sound spastic...

Hapless newb

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I just purchased a GA-EP45C-UD3R Motherboard from Gigabyte and I didnt check its compatibility with the processor that I bought. I bought an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz, it is not on the list of compatible CPUs but the E7300 is. Will it be ok to run the E7400 or should I return it?

Run the CPU. You'll be fine.

I always breadboard a new build:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html
That lets me test parts before I install them in a case.

Gather all of the parts within reach, or at least nearby. Have a container for trash. The case box works well. Accumulate your OS and driver CDs in one place so you can get them easily and keep them together after the build.
Tools:
1. I use a Philips bit in a magnetized bit-holder, which I can put into a cordless screwdriver, but usually I don't. Obviously be careful with anything magnetic, but I've used magnetized tools around PCs for >25 years and I don't think I've even killed a floppy.
2. I have needlenose pliers for tiny jumpers or pin headers.
3. I have a swing-arm lamp with a 13W CFL bulb that is bright and easy to aim. Lately I've also used a LED headlamp.
4. I have an assortment of case/mobo/drive/fan/etc. screws. I'll pour a sample into an overturned 5-1/4" drive cover, and then count out the ones of each type I need.
5. I use an extra slot-cover as a knife to cut the tape and/or plastic from component boxes as I open them.
6. I wear an anti-static strap for full builds, and bare feet to minimize static even further; every room in my house except the kitchen and bathrooms is carpeted.
7. Her Fluffiness is on the other side of a closed door.
8. I have an older, extra UPS I plug things into for testing.
9. I have a PSU tester I use to confirm that the PSU is not DOA.