Sign in with
Your question

LGA1366 Motherboard, Help Quick!

Last response: in Motherboards
September 12, 2009 6:10:05 PM

Ok so my girlfriend just got me a gift certificate to NewEgg for about $500 so that I can finally finish my i7 system that's been laying around without a motherboard for about 2 months. I have been researching motherboards for that entire time but I am still very torn at what board to get. I believe I have it narrowed down to three main choices:

EVGA E760 Classified
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
GIGABYTE EX58-UD5

The features that I do not want to sacrifice is:

A) Dual gigabit LAN
B) A spare PCI-E slot so that I can do 3x SLI plus a dedicated PhysX GPU.

The EVGA E760 has been my choice for a while, it satisfies both A and B conditions with 4 PCI-Ex16 slots and has an additional PCI-Ex1 slot that could be put to use with some other add-on card. Plus it has an awesome color scheme that fits perfect with my red cathodes.

I was dead set on the E760 but then I started reading that despite its price tag it wasn't a super over clocking board, but still pretty good at it. That's when I saw the REII which seems to be a better over clocker (and who doesn't love ASUS stuff?) and still has all the features I want.

Lastly, the EX58-UD5 was originally the board I chose before I thought I'd settled on the E760 and seems to be a great board until I started reading in the Tom's Hardware forums that people were having a great deal of difficulty with them. I don't know what to believe on this one.

So what do I pick? I keep leaning toward the E760, the only thing bothering me is the over clocking ability. I'm super excited about this I just want to nail this thing down quick! Thanks in advance guys!
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2009 8:58:39 PM

1. Why the need for Dual Giagabit LAN?

2. All the boards are overkill unless planing to WC and get a high OC. Forget anything around 4Ghz on i7 with out watercooling. By WCing I mean REAL WCing not the cheap H50,Thermaltake Bigwater cr@p. I'm talking GTZ + 420 rad + MCP 655 = ~$250-300.

3. Total specs and total budget?

4. Why Tri-SLI when you can get a ATI 5xxx card(s) which should be significantly better by the look of it. Should be out in ~2-3 weeks.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2009 10:33:36 PM

Just wait on the gpus till after the 24th and if they are good I mean good then get one of the good ones then see if you need more of a gpu setup. A single 5870 2gb should take care of most of your needs and if you still want physx get a 9600gt on the cheap dump it in a lower slot and use old drives sine the new one won't multicard when there is a ati in the rig trust me I tried.
m
l
September 13, 2009 3:44:20 AM

I use the asus p6t deluxe v2 and have not had a problem. Overclocked to 3.7 so far using Scythe MUGEN-2 and max temps are around 70 using prime 95. The board is solid! As far as vid cards I need not to go with new system so i got a 4890 asus but really hoping new 5 series is awesome if so i think i will upgrade and try to get rid of 4890
m
l
!